OT: John Edward's Scare Tactics

Edwards: 'Pretty Soon We're Not Going to Have a Young African-American Male Population in America.'

Asked about what he could do about "inner-city kids partaking in violence" at the MTV/MySpace Forum yesterday, Democratic candidate John Edwards offered an apocalyptic prediction for young black males:

"We cannot build enough prisons to solve this problem. And the idea that we can keep incarcerating and keep incarcerating - pretty soon we're not going to have a young African-American male population in America. They're all going to be in prison or dead. One of the two."

Hyperbole much? Despite popular misperception and those who find it a convenient talking point to illustrate inescapable racism, there are more young African-American men in college than in prison. In 2005, according to the Census Bureau, there were 864,000 black men in college. According to Justice Department statistics, there were 802,000 in federal and state prisons and jails; between the ages of 18 and 24, however, black men in college outnumber those incarcerated by 4 to 1.

UPDATE: Some readers are finding the numbers above confusing. The first set of numbers (comparing 864,000 to 802,000) refers to all black men of all ages. The 4 to 1 ratio is among black men between the ages of 18 to 24. In other words, a large percentage of that 802,000 are black men above the age of 24.

Reply to
Go Mavs

It's what politicians do. "Fight them there so we don't have to fight them here" - that sort of thing. Edwards isn't unique.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

All politicians exaggerate. Since their only purpose in getting elected is to line their own pockets, I see no reason why they shouldn't use each other's methods if they're shown to be successful.

Now, what's with the insult?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Edwards' hyperbole and Bush's "Fight them there..." theme are both scare tactics which only work on the simple minded who never look past slogans. They are identical in their purpose.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

He's trolling for the black vote, and that's that. When Bill Cosby said the exact same thing, he was scorned by the black community. I'm sure they love hearing it from a white guy.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

The parallel is that Edwards is doing exactly what Bush does: Appealing to people's fears, which is absolutely the sleaziest way to gain votes. Neither man's approach will stand up to logic.

When Edwards backs this movement, then he'll be saying something constructive.

Click the "Listen" button. Or not. Let me know whether or not you do.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Did you listen to the audio?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Why do you think he said it, if not to garner votes? After all, it could've been read several different ways. Two examples:

1) "That asshole's criticizing the way I raise my kids? Everyone knows it's society that makes kids go bad". Not vote here. 2) "He's right." Here's a vote.

Again: Why do you think he said it, if not to garner votes?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Question (which you won't answer): Is there research indicating that kids who attend preschool are far more likely to succeed in the years which follow?

Yes, or no?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

OK. You just repeated some of the information in the NPR story. You have a left bias to your information. Thank you.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

But, you agree with what he said. Doesn't that make you an idiot, too?

You said this: "Well, the part about losing an entire class of voter is a bit over the top, but the premise that black youth are by and large headed to the end of a barrel or to jail is not far fetched. As a factual matter, more black youths are killed or jailed than other kids. They are killed mostly by their own, and are jailed for killing their own. It's ugly, I know. But, it's true. It's also sad."

Do you remember saying that?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I know you're not sure. I find that rather pathetic. So will your children someday, if they don't already.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

If one did a search they would discover, as Bill Cosby points out, the majority of black men that are in prison are there because of black on black crimes.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter