(OT:) Mozila Firefox loses bookmarks

I apologize for going so far off topic, but you might need to know and want to do something about it.

I've been using Mozilla Browser products for many years, mainly because of the convenience and permanency of Bookmarks. It appears that's all changed, now. In the latest Firefox browser, if you bookmark a site, it is added to a list called "Recently Bookmarked", but this list is limited to 10 entries, and a new entry bumps off the oldest entry. There's a History list, but that also seems to be limited as to how far back the entries go. You cannot set the sizes or properties of these lists, either.

I back up my bookmarks every once in a while, and each time in the past the size of the backup file has increased a few to as much as 12 percent. However my latest backup file is 44 percent smaller than the previous one, each time, using the "Export HTML" function, and I rarely delete a bookmark. Where did the missing bookmarks go, and why? If I use the latest "backup" command, the filesize is 57 percent smaller than the previous one done the old way, which makes me wonder what else gets lost in that new process.

Why should Mozilla care what we do with bookmarks? It's our computers that get overloaded - - not theirs. And how overloaded is a 3638KB bookmark file? - - which is the size of my backup before they decided that bookmarks must disappear in the night for mysterious reasons. I guess they want us to start shopping for a new browser. If you care, tell them. I did, but have not heard back.

Reply to
Chuck Olson

"Chuck Olson" ...

Have you looked at the settings? You may have it set to only hold so much. I haven't had any problems with Firefox.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Which specific setting are you referring to which would affect the bookmark defect which Chuck described? I see nothing addressing the issue in Tools, Options. Please explain exactly what you clicked to get to the option you're describing.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I have a great book called "Programmers At Work", consisting of interviews with famous programmers like Ray Ozzie. I don't recall which, but one of them said that any feature that's implemented without researching what users want, is automatically a defective feature. Exceptions to the rule occur purely via dumb luck.

Based on that definition of defects, Mozilla is infamous for purposely coding defects into their products. The bookmark search defect is an example that's been around since Netscape's initial demise. In the appropriate newsgroups, Mozilla shills suggested filing a complain at their bug tracking site. But, it wasn't a bug. It was a defective design, and still is.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

"JoeSpareBedroom" ...

I thought it may have something to do with caching. I never said there

*was* such a setting; I was just suggesting he look further into the settings to see if such a control exists.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

"JoeSpareBedroom" ..

There may be something here to help:

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Okay, under tools > options > privacy there is a history (of pages visited) you can set, but that history is kept even if the page is not interesting enough to set a bookmark. That history has never been a limit on how long bookmarks are kept since the URLs are much smaller than HTML pages. If that has changed, then that's what we should be complaining about.

I don't find any setting of maximum bookmark file size.

Reply to
Chuck Olson

Hi, Natalie,

When I click for a bookmark, I now see there's a drop-down box where to put it, that I didn't notice before, and I can select "Unsorted Bookmarks" which is where they always used to wind up and wait for me to classify them. Now it seems that has become the new default location so - - - no more problem.

Thanks for your help.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Olson

"Chuck Olson"..

I posted a help link - did you see that? Or was it not helpful?

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

There are so many complaints about various aspects of bookmarking that I couldn't go through them for my specific problem. But thanks for the hint.

Reply to
Chuck Olson

"Chuck Olson" ...

Yeah, that's the bad thing about knowledge bases. They're not really monitored, so the same questions/problems come up over and over - I don't even bother to look at Microsoft's knowledge base anymore. Much easier to search the web for someone else's solution.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®