{OT} wii

My wife stood in line this morning at Best Buy and bought a Nintendo Wii for my twelve-year-old son. Of course it is hooked up by now and we are playing golf on TV. It seems I am just as bad at video golf as I am at real golf.

The remote handheld controller makes all the difference in game play. I was never able to get the hang of the other controllers and seldom played the old style but this one is different. You swing the controller similar to swinging the club. You make the same rolling motion of a bowling ball as you would on the lanes. You hit a tennis ball the same way as if with a racket.

My three-year-old boy is also playing golf and hitting nice shots. He just doesn't know how to use his putter yet...

Reply to
badgolferman

I heard about the Wii on some NPR program the other day; they were describing it re: playing tennis. Supposedly designed for inclusion of those people who can't really get the hang of using the controls of other electronic games, but still has zilcho interest to me, personally. Anyway... My nephew (15) got in line early the other morning to be able to buy one w/ his hard-earned money, but no luck. He's trying again, I think today. If he's able to procure a console thingy, then I think I get to buy him a game yto go with it for Xmas. ;-)

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

I hope the 12 year old doesn't either!

At least not for a few more years.

Reply to
Hachiroku

The only problem with Wii is...

No GRAND TURISMO!!!! Gotta get a Playstation or Playstation 2 for that.

Back about 10 years ago, a neighbor redid his bathtub. I grabbed the old tub from the curb. Everyone thought I was crazy (well, I am, but that's besides the point!)

I put it in the basement, and bolted an old Corolla seat into it. Then I built a "dashboard" and mounted an old 17" monitor to it, and bolted in a Steering Wheel and pedals.

I had Microsoft CART (indy car) racing and a Flight Simulator. I should have charged admission!

Reply to
Hachiroku

I hope she didn't have to 'wii' while she was waiting!!! ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

I thought about that since she had loaded up on coffee. It turns out they came out a couple of hours before opening time and handed out coupons to the first 60 people in line. Now she was guaranteed a Wii and dropped out of the line to go wee at Target across the street.

Reply to
badgolferman

A prelude to the real, fresh-air thing, I hope?

When I was younger I didn't "get" golf. As I've become older I've realized it's appeal - one can appreciate acres and acres of rolling green lawn that some other poor schlub has to mow.

Reply to
Mike Harris