Please help! Corolla 1993 alarm

Hi I'm a newbie here, in a desperate search for help. I have a 1993 Corolla 1.3, which I bought used just over a year ago. I've just put in a new battery, but every time I connect the leads, the alarm goes off. Nothing I can do stops it. The local Toyota dealer advised me to press the red button on my key, but there isn't one (it's just a plain metal key). I've tried turning the ignition key with the alarm sounding, but the engine won't start. I've also tried various combinations of doors open/locked.

Please help -- I'm driving the neighbours mad! I'd be quite happy to disable the alarm if I knew how.

I think the alarm is the original Toyota one.

I'd be very grateful for advice.

Best, Kit

Reply to
k.frankish

Unplug the car's horn/klaxon before re-connecting the battery and let the alarm silently run its course. It should re-set itself after about 5 minutes.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks very much Ray. I know this is a dumb question, but can you tell me, please, how I unplug the horn? Where is the connector located?

Kit

Reply to
k.frankish

A question that is asked is not dumb. I only consider questions that are not asked "dumb."

The horn's connector will be right on the horn itself. The connector may have a squeeze tab or some kind of locking tab that holds the connector to the horn, or it may just be pushed onto the horn. When you unplug the connector, be sure to pull on the plastic connector itself and not on the wire. To find the horn, momentarily re-connect the battery connectors and follow the noise ;-)

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks again Ray!

Reply to
k.frankish

...and be quick about it...the neighbors are losing their sense of humor!!!

Reply to
Scott in Florida

They really are! They had about of hour of stop-go car alarm this morning while I rushed around madly opening and shutting the doors, fiddling with the battery, and messing with the ignition. I love my beat-up old Corolla, but I hate its alarm!

Kit

Reply to
k.frankish

You're welcome!

Reply to
Ray O

+Stuff a rag in the horn untill you find the problem. Ron
Reply to
ronbon