Premiere Toyota service

It's still not a problem. Far more likely is that rust between the wheels and axles will be an issue first, surface-rusted metal rolls on concrete or asphalt just as well as clean metal or painted metal. If you feel the need to do something, hit the axles with an oil can every couple months or so.

nate

(still using an ancient Sears floor jack bought at a yard sale which definitely has some rust on the wheels, they roll fine. Need to get it back from my friend however...)

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I don't want to say you're wasting your time, but you're wasting your time.

Ray

Reply to
news

Good lord man... My $20 walmart hydraulic jack lasts me 3 or 4 racing seasons and then I toss it.

My cheapo Canadian Tire Jackstands have made it almost 20 years.

And I'm no stranger to working under a car being held up with 4 jackstands and NO tires on it. (my race car has occasionally been in the air with no front OR rear suspension.)

Wow.

Reply to
news

The steel on the casters on my jack have been exposed for 30 years with no ill effects, and between oil changes and tire rotations on our 3 vehicles plus fixing other people's cars, it gets used at least a dozen times a year.

Reply to
Ray O

There are millions of floor jacks out there with steel wheels, with a nice patina of rust on the wheel tread. There is nothing you can do to totally prevent it, and it won't hurt a darned thing by being there. You can paint them if you really want, but you will waste large amounts of valuable time sanding and painting after each use...

Don't sweat the small stuff.

Just oil the wheels at the axles so they roll nicely, and wipe a bit of oil on the wheel treads after use to retard rust if you must.

It would take heavy flaking rust on the wheel treads to make them bad enough to not roll easily. And that would be from storing the jack outside in a damp shed.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Why not phosphate the bare steel instead? Treat with phosphoric acid (metal prep, rust remover, like Naval Jelly) for a few minutes, wash it off (water, then alcohol to remove water), and the steel becomes grey but won't rust for quite a while.

Reply to
manny

Well, I guess the verdict is in: A little rust on the exposed casters of a floor jack won't hurt much.

But I do th "Visual inspection MUST be made prior to each use of the jack stand. Check for cracks, cracked welds, missing or damaged parts."

"Any jack stand that appears to be damaged in any way or is found to be worn or operates abnormally SHALL BE REMOVED FROM SERVICE IMMEDIATELY UNTIL REPAIRED." [The capitalized letters appear in the manual.]

After 20 years of use, your stands must show quite a bit of wear. I know after just one use, the extra-wide feet of my DuraLast stands already shows a little bit of wear, minor chipping, and paint loss.

Although I've been convinced that exposed steel casters on the floor jack isn't a significant problem, I won't take any chances whatsoever with the jack stands themselves.

I'll be painting over the small rust spots on the stands and the paint lost from the feet with an indoor/outdoor enamel paint.

The jack stands manual goes so far as to say "It is recommended that an annual inspection of the product be made by a manufacturer or supplier's authorized repair facility..." This might be taking things a bit far (?), but painting over minor surface rust with preventative enamel paint is just what my personal O.S.H.A. ordered.

For our international freinds: O.S.H.A. is the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.

Reply to
Built_Well

If this is quality stuff, it will be made with a steel alloy which will develop a protective layer of surface rust but not rust all the way through very easily at all. Many good tool steels are this way. Let it rust, then put a layer of oil over top. If it continues to rust and the rust becomes flaky and irregular, then you can worry.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Ok, all I know is what I've seen in the real world. Back in high school, the jack stands must have been 30 years old. Every garage I've ever seen that has jack stands have a set that look like they're from 1974.

Now, I'm not talking anything but some surface rust where the paint has chipped off, but if I was the least bit worried they would fail they would get tossed in the trash. I'm not, so they don't. (I take safety seriously - my safety gear for my race car is replaced BEFORE it has to be. I'm buying a new helmet next year because the current one is getting too old for my liking, and that'll be about $500.)

I can't believe how anal you're being about this stuff. They're jackstands. You can replace them yearly for about $10 per stand if you're that paranoid, but I'd be willing to bet that no one else here has probably ever bothered to think about them.

Ray

Reply to
Ray

Some of the older ones that I have are in fact bare steel. You are correct re: newer ones although the plating tends to get worn off the tips quickly. Some of my newer ones are stainless although I'm not real impressed with how they hold up, they seem to twist quicker than the regular steel ones.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Been kinda busy lately, friends, so haven't had much time to do the newsgroup thing.

Somebody should call the Mark Wassum in the news story below and ask him to join our group.

Trapped under a car, man manages to call for help

By JO CIAVAGLIA - Bucks County Courier Times - November 21, 2007 5:51 AM

As a Boy Scout, Mark Wassum Jr. learned to always be prepared, though he probably never planned for the day that he'd be trapped underneath a junk car.

His family, though, believes his years of Scout training are why the Middletown man kept calm ? managing to fish out his cell phone and call

911 ? after he was crushed underneath an old BMW earlier this week.

His lifesaving phone call, paired with a persistent emergency dispatcher and a resourceful cop, are why the 20-year-old is recovering from his injuries at a Philadelphia hospital, police said.

Sunday morning, the young auto body technician was looking for some spare parts for his car, an older model BMW, at Pic-A-Part, a Morrisville auto salvage yard that he regularly uses. Wassum was underneath a black, four-door model when the two scissor jacks holding up the car failed and it collapsed on top of him, leaving only his feet visible.

Around 10:30 a.m., a Bucks County radio room dispatcher answered a cell phone call. It was Wassum, who calmly explained he was pinned underneath a car. But shortly after giving the salvage yard's location, the phone line suddenly went quiet. The unnamed dispatcher kept trying to get Wassum to talk, but there was no response.

Meanwhile, Falls police Offer Sven Beauchmin had arrived at the scene but couldn't find anyone who knew where Mark was in the roughly 2-acre property crammed with old cars and trucks.

Beauchmin knew how to find him. The cop turned on his emergency siren and started driving around the yard.

Tell me when you hear the siren really loud, he told the 911 dispatcher.

Within five minutes, Beauchmin found Wassum in a more remote section of the junkyard not easily visible from a nearby internal access road, said Falls police spokesman Lt. Ron MacPherson. click here

Only his feet were visible from the passenger side, MacPherson said.

As suspected, Wassum was unconscious. He had a pulse, but he was not breathing.

The officer summoned backup, and four men, including Falls Cpl. Mark Bertone and Levittown Fire Co. Chief Rich Van Schaick, lifted the car and pulled out Wassum. After Beauchmin started CPR, Wassum was breathing on his own.

He was airlifted to Temple University Hospital, where he is listed in stable condition and recovering in the intensive care unit, police and family members said.

?The whole thing is a miracle,? MacPherson added.

Especially since Wassum didn't suffer any broken bones or major internal injuries, said his older sister Katie, who lives with Mark ? the youngest of five siblings ? and their parents. Aside from cuts and bruises, he had an air pocket around one lung and short-term memory loss, she said.

He doesn't remember anything about the accident or making the emergency call. The last thing he remembers is what he ate for lunch on Friday, she said.

That her baby brother managed to call for help didn't surprise Katie.

After all, her brother earned his Eagle Scout badge, the highest rank for a Boy Scout, two years ago. He has also remained active with Scouting, including going on camping expeditions and assisting others with Eagle Scout projects.

?I would have been freaking out.? Katie said. ?He is a very calm person, even when things are really, really bad.? =====

The guy is an auto body tech, yet he was using scissors jacks instead of proper jack stands to support the vehicle. Yow.

Reply to
Built_Well

Built_Well wrote in news:4744aa9e$0$68444$ snipped-for-privacy@auth.newsreader.octanews.com:

This is why they tell you to use jack stands. And to make sure the stands are on solid ground.

Safety is not some deep dark secret, it's just common sense.

Reply to
Tegger

He also gives Eagle Scouts a bad name.

Reply to
Ray O

BadGolferMan wrote: >

BadGolferMan, I'm a little hurt by that. I thought we had a little closer online friendship. Oh well, I guess not. Well now, I must reveal a little something about you.

BGM, I was surprised to read your remark made on the 13th because I have a lot of respect for German Jews, and for Americans of German-Jewish descent.

A good friend of mine at MU was an American Christian of German-Jewish descent, like yourself. You may take these comments in the wrong way, but I say the preceding in a positive, respectful manner. Yes, it is revealing, but still said respectfully.

If you're wondering how long I've known, at least 16 months or more. By the way, one of my favorite MU professors (Dr. Gansberg--name slightly changed for his privacy's sake) was an American of German Jewish descent. Unlike yourself, though, he remains a Jew. He does not have a German accent; he speaks English with a midwestern American accent. I suppose he was born in America.

On the other hand, my Algebra 2 or Trigonometry teacher in high school was a German Jew who spoke with a German accent. Mr. Ban (actual name since he has probably passed by now) was quite a man and a great teacher; I learned a lot from him.

Reply to
Built_Well

========

Tegger, I don't have any deep dark secrets, my friend.

Reply to
Built_Well

Common sense is all too often UNcommon.

Reply to
sharx35

He probably used the tools available to him at the time and unfortunately, nobody left jackstands laying around that day. I'm not quite as gutsy a fellow to be willing to lay under a car held up with 2 jacks, but I might be game if there were a few tires or bricks under there as backup. I'll bet he could a found a few to those in a junkyard. :-)

david

Reply to
dsi1

I was at Super Walmart yesterday picking up a few things. I don't like regular Walmarts, but Super Walmarts are a totally different story. If you've never shopped at a Super Walmart, you've never shopped at Walmart.

Anyway, I happened to see 2 auto techs using torque wrenches on an '05 or '06 Camry. The techs were following each other. I asked them about this. They said it's Walmart's policy to have two different people torque each wheel's lug nuts to final torque. And after they do that, one drives the car in the back lot doing one or two figure-8's, and then uses a torque wrench for the /third/ time to torque the wheels.

I asked why Walmart is so meticulous. The tech said it was for legal purposes to make sure a wheel doesn't fly off. I wonder if Walmart got sued once?

The fellas first used a torque stick attached to an impact/air wrench, then torqued the wheels 3 separate times by 2 different people using torque wrenches. And of course, the car was driven in a figure-8 before the third and final torquing. That's commitment!

Reply to
Built_Well

========

As I've said before, my dealer didn't use a torque wrench even once. I can't say he used a regular ole pneumatic air wrench with torque stick because the tool my dealer's tech was using did not look like a drill at all. Instead it looked like a stainless steel ratchet with a possible torque stick attached to it. It was automatic, but I'm guessing it worked on electricity instead of air/pneumatically.

Do those tools have a special name? Can they actually be as good as torque wrenches?

Reply to
Built_Well

that, one drives the car in the back lot doing

About 1970 I worked at a Sears store changing tires. Radials were just comming into use. The salesman told a guy that they had to be installed in sets of 4 or atleast in pairs of 2. The guy insisted he only wanted one on the front of his car. One was installed. About 10 minuits later he cam back and bought another tire to match. He said he could not keep it in the road with that one radial on the frount and wanted both moved to the back. I did that and when I took the wheel cover off the radial that was installed, the lug nuts were backed off about half way. I did not say anyting about that to him.

At that time we had several impact wrenches and found out one of them wasnot torquing the nuts much over hand tight. Just lucky he did not take off down the interstate and have that wheel fall off.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery