Prius fails Gerogia emissions test....

Its misleading. The car fails the test because of the testing device and for no other reason.

Reply to
Go Mavs

You in the medical field?

Reply to
Truckdude

The emissions to be measured aren't related to global warming at all, so please don't try to confuse the issue. The tested emissions are for low-atmospheric-level pollutants that create smog (making it difficult to breathe) and acid rain (which erodes buildings and poisons plants).

Reply to
mrv

That's correct.

I had missed this.

Thanks for point it out.

I will add that there is a recent US Supreme Court decision that says that the EPA has to duty to regulate greenhouse gases, such as CO2, but this isn't part of the testing in Georgia, AFAIK. Greenhouse gases may also be regulated by some states, such as CA and NY, but, I don't see how that would require testing. Rather, the fuel efficiency of the various vehicles would be regulated rather than the CO2 output.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I retired from that field.

Reply to
Jeff

My question is why are the Prius being subjected to the 2-speed idle test in the first place?

All 1996 and newer vehicles will receive a two-part inspection.

  • An OBD test to check your vehicle's emission control performance history.
  • A fuel cap inspection to check for adequate seal.

If an OBD test is unable to be performed on a vehicle, it may be necessary to perform a Two-Speed Idle test (TSI).

Perhaps the GA test equipment cannot handle the CAN that the Prius' OBD-II port runs on? If so, then there'll be a lot of other vehicles other than just the Prius that'll need the more-involved 2-speed idle test...

And you can get the Prius to idle if need be for such a test, that's what the Inspection Mode listed in the Repair Manual is for. but never to be driven left in that mode!

Reply to
mrv

What area specifically? I ask because I am an RN and it was odd seeing blood gas terminology here.

Reply to
Truckdude

Pediatrics. But I am teacher of teenagers now. Teenagers in Harlem. Great kids, really. Though it always doesn't show.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

And water is not a poision,and without it we could not live, but too much water can be deadly.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Me too. Pediatric Cardiac/Solid Organ Transplant ICU to be specific. Kids (newborn to 18 years) with congenital defects, arrhythmias, along with heart and other solid organ transplants. Are you a retired physician?

Reply to
Truckdude

No, changed careers. The insurance would have driven me nuts.

Reply to
Jeff

True, I heard about a couple of DJs being sued because a woman died of water intoxication during a stupid radio contest recently.

Reply to
Truckdude

OK, not a retired physician. Were you a pediatrician before changing careers?

Reply to
Truckdude

It was something Limbaugh talked about on his show today.

When they do the test, they run the car at 2500 RPM for a specified amount of time. 2500RPM is where the gas motor is set to turn off and the electric motor take over. If the batteries are charged enough to allow this to happen, then it does indeed shut down the gas motor and the software reads it as an incomplete test.

Yes, it's really the test that needs to be revised, but, technically, it is correct. An incomplete test is labeled as a failure and requires a retest. Incompletes can be thrown for a number of reasons, the most common being a hole in the exhaust that allows too much free air to be measured!

Reply to
Hachiroku

I did two years of pediatric residency before deciding it was not the career for me.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

What killed the rats was displacement of the oxygen in the air by the COs, some of which was exhaled by the rats. LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

First, I don't see anything to laugh about when life is taken.

Second, what killed the rats was the high CO2 concentration in their blood stream. They did with maybe 15 seconds, which is far to fast for the oxygen to get depleted.

CO2 is an acid. It gets converted to carbonic acid in the blood (HCO3- + H+ when the CO2 dissolves in blood). It causes the blood pH to drop to low levels. This is what killed the rats. If there were 50% O2 and 50% CO2, the results would have been the same.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

This needs to be Worldwide. And, the current mind set of 'Pollution Credits' isn't helping anybody.

Except the people who have 'credits' to sell...

Reply to
Hachiroku

A little more research before posting WBMA.

Reply to
Truckdude

I disagree with this.

Some research before posting. A little more implies that he does some already. ;-)

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff