How about new seats? Yaris!

Is it possible to put lower seats in a new Yaris? How much does that usually run around? I am certain that would fix the height problem I have and I would be willing to pay to have it done. Any one know?

Reply to
Go Mavs

You can go for an aftermarket seat like a Recaro or others (Google replacement seat). Note how the seat mounts. I was going to replace the seats in my Scion with older Celica seats, but the mounting points on the Scion seats are flat, and the older Toyota seats mounting points are folded over.

So, you'll probably have to go after market with aftermarket seat rails. If you Google 'seat rails' you'll come up with a lot of options.

Or you can look on E-Bay. Find a seat you like and then see if it's available on E-bay.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Check out

and do a google search of "aftermarket car seats."

Reply to
Ray O

Do these automatically fit depending on the vehicle or do they have to be jacked with? Are the fits typically universal or special mold?

Reply to
Go Mavs

Most seats have specific applications. Check the seat makers' web sites or go to a custom auto part store for applications and fit.

Reply to
Ray O

Know any good custom auto part stores and service places that might be located in the Dallas area?

Reply to
Go Mavs

Sorry, I am not really familiar with the Dallas area. The only advice I can offer is to look in the phone book or ask people with lots of custom accessores installed on their cars.

Reply to
Ray O

That's a little out of my range! Now if you had said Mass, I could point you to a few good places!

Some 'generic' parts stores can either special order stuff like this, or can at least point you to a place that specializes in modding cars. If you have any 'bling' ("tuner") shops (I'm sure Dallas *must*!) that's a good place to start. Another good place to look is the tuner mags, like Import Tuner. There is one that just came out that specializes in the small "A" body cars; I can't remember the name of it, but it begins with an "S". Have a look in a magazine store. I think the cover of this month's issue feature a Yaris, if I remember. Also, (my geography of that area isn't too good...) you might want to have a chat with Jeff Watson at Champion Toyota. He's in parts. He is a wealth of info, at least for us guys that own Supras. If you call, tell him a Supras.com member referred you.

Depending on what you get, there may be some work involved. The better seats come with the rails attached, and slide on to the brackest. Expect to pay >$800 per seat for these. These are the Recaros, etc. Most of the time, you will have to mount the base to the car, and then mount the seat rails to match the base.

Seats can be had anywhere from ~$150 all the way to $12-1500! If you can find a shop, have a seat! At these prices, you might have to live with a mistake! I have a shop locally that has a number of seats mounted just like they would be in a car so you can get an idea of the feel.

Google "seat rails" and you'll get an idea of what's out there and available for your car. There's some really nice stuff for relatively little money (~$150-400). Considering Toyota probably wants $1200 each for STOCK seats, this is a bargain!

Good Luck! Let me know what you find.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I said something similar in another thread. The respone was that even though he/she doesn't like it, he/she bought it because of the low price, good fuel economy, and to improve his/her credit.

Reply to
Truckdude

Generally vehicles have a seat height, even those with power seats, the sets the seat in the proper effective ranger of the SRS. One would suspect a small car like yours would have the seat height in the center of the range. To lower a seat one must reduce the height of seat support. I would take it to a body shop to see if that can be accomplished.

Personally I would be more concerned about what would happen to me and my passengers if I was involved in an accident driving in a car that small.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Why? What evidence do you have that small cars are less safe than large cars?

What about the Governor of NJ? He was not in a small car. Of course, he did somehting stupid. Yet he was still injured in an SUV.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I spent fifteen years, of me thirty years as a vehicle design engineer, working on the designing crumple zones. You however are free to believe whatever you choose. Do your own search for the information you seek, WBMA.

The NJ trooper driving the big SUV was doing 91 MPH. In which would YOU prefer to be sitting in the front seat unbelted, that SUV or a Corolla, in that particular collision? LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Not all circumstances are built around comfort.

Reply to
Go Mavs

I wont have many passengers but I am not going to buy a huge gas burner. Not my style... One might say that if everyone were driving around in 18 wheelers (exageration) then we in general would be alot safer...

Granted the Yaris is no match for the Ford 350 in a wreck but I am not going to buy a 350 to make my c*ck feel bigger.

Reply to
Go Mavs

how exactly do they go about reducing the seat support?

Reply to
Go Mavs

Absolutely there is a need to use profanity when people get involved in business that isnt theirs. Indeed, I would say there is a good enough reason to punch someone in the face when they get involve in stuff that is none of their business...

With that said, the topic is about any way to fix the seat to sit atleast 2 inches lower. That would solve the problem for me.

If you have any insight then please do put forth. If not then stay out of business that isnt yours.

Reply to
Go Mavs

Oh shut up dickweed. Take your holier than thou shit elsewhere. If you cannot stick with the direct topic which is aftermarket seating or adjustment then you need to just shut your tiny attention seeking trap.

Reply to
Go Mavs

Just a tip, the people who have your info and help for you can see your bad attitude, and this is a small community of people.

Reply to
Truckdude

Well, you and two others have delved into info thats really none of your business. I am not asking you to critique the car I bought. I can fit in the car and over all I like it for the price I paid. I especially like how easy it is to turn. If I have to cramp up in it then I am fine with that. I am not going long haul with it. With that said, if there is something I can do to make it a tad more comfortable like find seats that drop down an inch or two then I am willing to do that. Therefore that is the main issue.

I don't need to hear "you bought a car you don't like" 2 dozen times. One that isnt the truth, and two I am trying to find a solution to what I consider over-all a minor problem. Mainly because I will have this car paid off in not too long and credit looking better.

Reply to
Go Mavs

I don't mean to be laughing out loud (LOL!) but I am in the same boat as you! I bought my Scion for a lot of reasons; styling, performance, amount of standard equipment, the fact it's a Toyota (AND made in Japan), but I have the same gripe as you! The damn seat makes me feel like I'm sitting at the dining room table! The wheel is also a bit far of a reach, but as Ray said, they do that because of the air bags (Luckily, I have long arms...)

Love the car,hate the seating position! Let me know how you make out, because I am thinking of doing the same thing! (2" lower and 2" further back). That's why I was able to come up with an answer so fast!

Just with my other 'projects' right now (exhaust for the Supra...) I can live with the seating position...for now!

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B