Prius SS/SE remote fob won't program

I bought a remote fob (silver logo) on Ebay as a spare for my 05 Prius, and took it to my local Toyota dealer to get it programmed. The tech sat in the car for 7 minutes and got out to tell the service representative that the fob won't program. Does this happen very often? All they need to do is set the fob to transmit its code and tell the car to add it to the list of fobs that work. The fob is transmitting on 313 MHz just like my original one that works fine. It has the same part number: "MDL B31EG" as my original fob, and transmits the same

540 millisecond burst of data that my original fob puts out. Of course I can't decode the data, but it sends *something* out. When the car won't accept the code, don't they check to see if the list of remote keys is full? This new fob is in pristine condition - - lights the LED when a button is pressed - - the battery measures over 3 volts, like a new battery. I guess I'm fortunate they didn't charge me anything for trying - - it would have been $85 for the service if it had been successful. Should I go to another dealer and try again? What kind of experience have any of you had in adding a new fob to the smart code, wireless code and immobilizer code registrations that are required?

Thanks for your help,

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Olson

Sorry, I have no solid answer. But have you phoned Toyota's tech help line? In the UK I have found them responsive, though it can take a day or two to receive answers, while they go off to think about things (stuff, life, philosophy, the price of fish &c).

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

I surprised your dealer *even offered* to try and program the Ebay unit. Those knock-offs look pretty tempting.

What happens if they use one of their fobs - other than you pay a few more hundreds of dollars for it?

B~

Reply to
B. Peg

I dont think its a knock off if it has the same part number.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

You don't suppose that it's a factory reject?...maybe they try each one after manufacture and the rejects get turfed (and maybe sold on ebay?)

Reply to
Gord Beaman