Question: 1996 Toyota Tercel Oxygen Sensor?

ByTor wrote in news:3p9Cj.10565$UA4.10017 @fe49.usenetserver.com:

Depends where you live. If you're in the US or Canada, you will have two sensors. And what to do next depends on which of the two has gone bad, and why.

If you live elsewhere in the world, you may indeed have only one sensor.

What, specifically, was the alphanumeric error code pulled from the ECU?

Reply to
Tegger

I've probably been driving around with the check engine light on for about a year now. It was verified through my mechanic after a diagnostic that it is indeed the sensor. About a week ago he verified that there is only 1 sensor at a cost of about $170.00?

2 questions actually:

Is there indeed 1 sensor?

And, have I already or will I cause any kind of damage by not changing it yet? I just assumed my gas mileage won't be as good if its not changed.

Thanks fer any help.

Reply to
ByTor

Two sensors, one in the front of the exhaust system visible when you open the hood, and one behind the catalytic converter.

Did the tech *TEST* the O2 sensors? My '95 was throwing a code for O2 sensors (P401) which also includes low EGR flow and a couple other maladies.

After messing with the car for a year I changed the vacuum hoses (ONE BY ONE!) and the code went away.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Check

for prices. Get Bosch planar type sensors if you can.

johngdole