Question - Extending electric seat to rear on 2000 Camry...

Question - Extending electric seat to rear on 2000 Camry...

The drivers seat does not go back far enough for my long legs and I would like to move the seat back another inch ot two...

It is a electric seat...

Thank You for all help offered...

Jim andrews columbus/Phoenix

Reply to
James B. Andrews

Seems like you have two choices you could feed the motor more voltage, or simply move the track back two inches. If it a Toyota their will like be no room left between the front seat and the rear seat for a passenger, however ;)

mike

"James B. Andrews" wrote:

Reply to
MikeHunt2

Yeah, that won't work. You'll wreck it or have a car fire on your hands.

The only thing you could really, do, but it ain't simple. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a shop that would attempt such an endevour.

Reply to
Qslim

You can get it moved back, but if they don't make a factory kit to do it on your car it'll have to be a custom job. Most seat tracks bolt to the body at four points, a raised rail at the front edge of the seat, and either flat through the floor or to a second rail at the rear edge. Stick your head under there and look, you can probably get a few ideas yourself.

I would make adapters, rather than trying to modify the seat adjusting rails directly. It's too easy to mess up the rails, then the seat won't slide easily - and new manual seat rails are expensive. For electric seat rails it's worse.

Find someone who is good at jigsaw puzzles, and it's not a huge challenge - but he'll probably spend a full day (or more) on the project. And they are accepting liability for the project and your safety, so you want to find someone who is confident enough of their design and fabricating skills to get grilled about it in court if it ever came to that.

Find a good welding shop that can make a set of adapters to bolt between the seat tracks and where it attaches to the car body - but the brackets have to be beefy (to the casual observer to the point of overkill) because of crash forces they may be called on to resist. And if there's a long overhang on the bracket, you would want to take it down to the floor and bolt it to the floorpan, with big fender washers to spread the load.

And try not to cut too many holes in the car, and don't weld the bracket straight to the floorpan - because you may have to put it all back to stock before you sell the car. You can remove a bolt and plug the hole easily, cutting out welds makes a mess.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

You kidding right? ;)