Radio/Stereo for a 4Runner 2001

Hello Toyota'ers :D My little 2.5 year old son, while playing in the 4Runner, screwed the stereo up. So, I need to replace it [thing that I don't like] with one of those brand name stereos [Kenwood, Pioneer, etc]. What would you recomend?? I need something that will fit the big hole that the OEM stereo will leave. Also, MP3 compatible would be fine. Well, I will really appreciate any response.

Reply to
EL FORY

"EL FORY" wrote in message news:rNkHh.6$ snipped-for-privacy@okeanos.csu.net... Hello Toyota'ers :D My little 2.5 year old son, while playing in the 4Runner, screwed the stereo up. So, I need to replace it [thing that I don't like] with one of those brand name stereos [Kenwood, Pioneer, etc]. What would you recomend?? I need something that will fit the big hole that the OEM stereo will leave. Also, MP3 compatible would be fine. Well, I will really appreciate any response.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

And 20+ years ago, I would have agreed with you!

However, Alpine's quality has been slipping. Not as bad as some, but worse than you or I remember! I used to really like them, also.

And Pioneer has come UP as far as Alpine has slid! The Scion has a Pioneer head unit, and it's the first radio I didn't yank and replace within a few months in a LONG time.

In reality, the OP won't go wrong with an Alpine. But my current favorites, esp in the lower end market, are AIWA (now made by Sony) and JVC. I have a JVC in the Supra, and had one in the LHS, and they are really good. Sony's are OK, the best feature being unless you get a bottom-rung unit, they come with a built-in 7 band EQ.

Kenwood has always been good, too. I just wonder if the OP is going to keep the 2.5 YO away from the new stereo! If not, go with a $99 AIWA or JVC or Kenwood, or better yet, get something off E-Bay. I paid $38 for an AIWA CD player, $59 for a JVC, and $89 for TWO more JVCs!

Reply to
Hachiroku

"EL FORY" wrote in message news:rNkHh.6$ snipped-for-privacy@okeanos.csu.net... Hello Toyota'ers :D My little 2.5 year old son, while playing in the 4Runner, screwed the stereo up. So, I need to replace it [thing that I don't like] with one of those brand name stereos [Kenwood, Pioneer, etc]. What would you recomend?? I need something that will fit the big hole that the OEM stereo will leave. Also, MP3 compatible would be fine. Well, I will really appreciate any response.

Reply to
vegasdave

I looked for one recently for the same year and model.

Go to crutchfield.com, enter your vehicle information, but then go do a search for "Double DIN." There are nine choices.

The JVC KW-XC410 would be fine. It's compatible with both Sirius and XM satellite radio, if you ever decide to subscribe, and it has an audio input jack for connecting an MP3 player (or you can get JVC's iPod adapter). $259, including the wiring harness.

This model is $194 from Beach Audio, and the harness is $5 (search for

70-1761). Shipping is $5, so the total is $204.

From Crutchfield it will be $240 (harness is included) (use coupon code "3A706" for $20 off).

Crutchfield provides excellent support if you need it, and is good about returns, but they are usually about 20% more expensive than other reputable on-line stores. They include vehicle specific instructions for installation (i.e. how to remove dash panels).

You solder the harness wires to the radio wires then use the existing connections in the car. Remember to use heat shrink tubing over the solder joints, not electrical tape.

Reply to
SMS

BTW, how can a small child screw up a car radio?

ROFL....you have never had a 2.5 year old....have you?

Reply to
Scott in Florida

ROFL! You don't let a 2-1/2 year old kid play unattended in a car.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

This worked...now, wanna repeat it so those of us NOT using a Windoze product can read it?

Reply to
Hachiroku

I sure did, but she was a daughter and never did anything more destructive than spill a glass of milk...and not into a radio. The 2 1/2 year old must have been a hellion if he could ruin a radio in a dashboard, unless he hurled into the cassette slot!

Reply to
mack

Curious as to how you are making out.

One suggestion no one seemed to hit here. You can pick up a halfway decent Sony or so at Wal*Mart, and wile you're there you can get a Scosche harness for Toyota there. The wires on the new stereo and the wires on the harness are colored to match, so you match the colors, twist them together, cover them with electrical tape, plug the harness in and you're good to go. They also have dash mounting kits that you slide the new radio's DIN pocket into, mount the dash kit, connect the harness and slide the radio in.

Also, if you go to Curcuit City or Best Buy, often they will include installation in when you buy the components. Sometimes there is a fee; it used to be $99 but with competition I think it has been reduced to $39. Fanagle...tell them you'll buy the radio right now if they include installation. If you aren't adding speakers or an amp it'll take the installer all of a half an hour or less!

Reply to
Hachiroku

name stereos [Kenwood, Pioneer, etc].

Check out Scosche's installation and accessory solutions at:

Scosche