Xterra 2001 - CD Changer Problem

Looking for some advice on my 2001 Nissan XTerra and the OEM CD Changer. I bought this car used and the CD Changer hasn't worked since

AM/FM Radio with RDS works fine. You can load a CD through the front, but after several seconds, it will eject it. Gets boring after a while.

Swapping it at the manufacturer would cost $1500, according to the dealer. I'm not going to do that.

Some questions I have are:

Is this a single unit or multiple units? Most car audio shops seem to sell CD changers separate from CD Players. Since they load through the front, it seems like it is all one unit. How would I go about removing or installing the CD Changer? Are there any instructions with *pictures*? What aftermarket units woudl be compatible with this model? Do I need one unit or multiple ones.

Thanks for any advice

Nathan

Reply to
nmsurv

There are places you can send it to get it fixed for a couple hundred. Spend some time with Google.

Reply to
JimV

Don't be offended , but I'm going to ask a daft question. Are you putting the CD in the right way up? Just a thought :-)

Reply to
<chippie

Yes.

And I have searched Google. Enough to find out that a repair of the OEM may cost $250-350 plus shipping, and this may not be the best option considering those who have had it break down again in 6 months, and the cost of aftermarket units.

I was hoping someone here would know whether there are any double din receivers that have the CD changer in the dash. They don't seem to exist from my search of the internet. CarToys and Cruthfield don't seem to have them. It seems strange that the OEM 6 CD changer from Nissan would be the only one of its kind *ever* made. Or have Cd Changers in cars just gone the way of cassette players (which I can still find) in favor of MP3/IPod adapters?

Reply to
Nathan

Sometimes the simplest things are overlooked. I'm pretty sure it will be a Clarion unit, and I did find this:-

> Don't be offended , but I'm going to ask a daft question. Are you putting

Reply to
<chippie

Somewhat. This category gave me a few clues.

&model=Xterra&catid18467615311499 Neither item exactly matches what is in my vehicle, but it is close.

I did hear back from a Car Toys Install person, which answered some of my basic questions. Apparently In-Dash CD Changers are common in the OEM, but rare and expensive in the aftermarket world. Car Toys had one for 1399 + a few parts.

If rebooting via battery cable doesn't work (still need to try that), it is likely impractical to try to get an equivalent stereo wiht CD Changer. More likely, I'll get an aftermarket single CD player that can take MP3, then I'll probably be able to fit on enough music with less hassle. And maybe get bluetooth for safer cell phone conversations.

Crutchfield seems to have the best selection and some tools I would need.

What I still don't know is if the aftermarket stereos will still work with the steering wheel controls. Might not be a big deal.

Thanks for all the help.

Nathan

Reply to
Nathan

Ok. I don't think I'll be able to help further so Good Luck.

Chippie.