Re: An atheist professor & his student

> An atheist professor of philosophy speaks to his class on the problem > science has with God, The Almighty. > He asks one of his new Muslim students to stand and..... Professor: You > are a Muslim, aren't you, son? Student : Yes, sir. > Prof: So you believe in God? > Student : Absolutely, sir. > Prof: Is God good? > Student : Sure. > Prof: Is God all-powerful? > Student : Yes. > Prof: My brother died as a suicide bomber. He took out 12 Infidels, 8 of > them were Infidel Children. What did he get for his act of selflessness? > Student: 72 virgins and a mule. > Prof: But the Infidels say all the virgins are gone! > Student: Allah Akbar! God can produce as many virgins as he needs to > kill the Infidel Bastards!

OH BOY! Let's see who the Rat Bastards are going to blow up this time.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Most snipped.

Point to some evolution please. Also, why can't God use evolution as one of His tools to create? Why is it only one or the other, never both?

The more we learn about science, the more it looks like there IS a God. Do you know that DNA is the most complicated and largest molecule in nature? Do you know that a DNA molecule can be changed and it will repair its self? In short, it appears that DNA is designed to prohibit what you claim created all the different species of plants and animals.

You are wrong in that, God is everywhere. All you need to do to see Him is to open your eyes. Also, just because you have a brain doesn't mean that it works.

"A gift from something we cannot comprehend." A really good description of God, thanks. Maybe there is hope for your soul after all.

Jack

Reply to
Retired VIP

Jack,

Agnostics do not deny "god". We simply say we can't understand, comprehend "god", creation, etc. Existence is incredibly complex, elegant, beautiful, contradictory, huge, infinitesimal.

We can comprehend "god" to the same extent the right front wheel of your car can comprehend "car".

I have always felt that "god", being omnipotent, all knowing, wouldn't just poof the universe into existence. What fun is that? Does "god" have "fun"?

=================================

I've always felt that if god was such a fantastic character, he would not allow nice little kids to get cancer. But, he does, so he must be a real asshole.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Seriously, read "When bad things happen to good people". An excellent book.

===================================

I've read it. I don't care. Any god that lets little kids get cancer needs to be bitch slapped.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

When did God ever say man would be peace and happiness on earth? All the good stuff is in heaven for those who have faith. If those that have faith are worng, what differace will it make FOR THEM in the end. However if those that do not have faith are wrong it will make a HUGH differance FOR THEM in the end. ;)

Reply to
Mike hunt

Unfortunately, all this sweetness and light will not be available to followers of religions that were around for thousands of years before Mary's roll in the hay.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Why, you're positively anti-Catholic, Joe!

Mary certainly had a roll in the hay. Jesus had half-brothers.

Good eye.

Reply to
witfal

I look at these things from a parent's point of view. If I had a daughter who came home and said "Dad, I'm pregnant, but I swear I didn't have sex with anyone", I'd hand her a box of Q-tips and a can of car wax, point to my car and say "Take your time. You need to think up a much better story than that." :-)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Maybe (as the story goes) that's why W.C. Fields was once found relaxing at the studio between takes engrossed in reading the Bible. A friend of his came by and said "Bill! YOU, reading a Bible?" Fields looked up and replied "Yeah, just looking for loopholes........"

Reply to
mack

UNLESS you had a book in your hand which predicted that conception, written 750 years earlier.

That might convince you.

Reply to
witfal

I'll tell ya what: I'll allow for that possibility, if you'll allow that Nostradamus' prediction might be right, with regard to who will start a nuclear war involving the Middle East. Gotta have equal time for all mythology, ya know?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

The same book which predicted the virgin birth also specifically predicted another historical figure...by name.

Again, 700+ years before it happened.

I sure old Nossy-boy wished his predictions were as clear or accurate.

Reply to
witfal

Who?

A "great bear from the north", or something like that. I wonder why the Russians would start a ruckus like that in the Middle East, unless Iran gets really nutty.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

First an error on my part. The prediction was over 100, not seven hundred years before the birth of Cyrus, king of Persia.

Check Isaiah 44.

Reply to
witfal

Amazing. Absolutely amazing.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

No sarcasm?

Reply to
witfal

None. Honest.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Your scholarship is overwhelming.

Reply to
witfal

No one, not even Nostradamus can predict the future. Do you know why? If it were possible to predict the future then that would mean that the future was already determined. We would have no free will, it would be impossible to sin and this discussion of God would have no meaning.

Jack

Reply to
Retired VIP

I'm sure you do. Here's a hint: The writings of the Gnostics and the Apocrypha were rejected for many valid reasons. And try reading Josephus.

Reply to
witfal