Re: {BS} Kagan stands on..

> Except tht the 2nd was reaffirmed just yesterday. It was a 5-4 vote, Stev= ens > being one of the 4, and Kagan will simply be another Stevens. > > The language that the court used to affirm the 2nd dates back to post-Civ= il > War era when it was attempted to keep blacks from owning guns, and the co= urt > said that if a black can't protect his family in his home, then who can? > > I think the anti-gun crowd was dealt a crushing defeat for the next many > yers.

You would hope so, but I'm not so optimistic there won't be later attempts at more gun control laws. Also, I find the narrow margin in the court as disturbing. If they are all following the constitution, the vote should have been unanimous. :/ I already see the mayor of Chicago wants to add a zillion regulations and restrictions to any gun owners.. IE: only one pistol, insurance, etc.. If it were up to Obama or even Kagen, we wouldn't have even that. I feel fairly certain he thought he was going to try to add more gun control laws when he first ran and was elected. But I think the mass buying of weapons and being voted "gun salesman of the year" for 2009 caught him by surprise and he saw the light.. At least for this term.. Hopefully, there will be only one term.

> Cities and States have a reasonable (in my opinion) need to prevent viole= nt > ex-felons from being able to own guns, and such legislation would have to > define very narrowly those that are not allowed.

And of course, it's already illegal for any felon to own firearms.

> I think we need faster prosecution of gun crimes, and I favor the Death > Penalty for gun crime perps.

I don't think they should be dealt with any faster than any other violent crime. If one is fatally stabbed with a knife, they are still just as dead as if one used a Model 29 Dirty Harry special instead.

Reply to
nm5k