Handgun storage in a TJ?

First, I have a concealed handgun permit, so I can legally have a handgun in, for instance, a center console. To anyone reading this thread, check your local laws as they vary wildly from state to state.

I keep a loaded handgun in my TJ. At present I use my factory locking center console. I'd like to get something a little more impregnable. What should I get? This needs to be a replacement for the center console; I can't use one of those ones that goes under the rear seat because i routinely pull the rear seat out to move music gear around and I need the open space back there...

-jeff

Reply to
Handywired

A 50 cal ammo box with a lock and bolted to the floor works. Dale P.. Mine is lined with stick on carpet.

Reply to
Dale Peterson

Reply to
David C. Moller

We are getting our concealed carry ability in a few days here in Ohio. I havent finished it yet but I'm planning on heading to a metal shop locally and having them construct me a box from stainless probably 1/8" thick (10 gauge?) Then I wanted to mount it in the dead space in the right rear fender. It would be heavy enough construction it would be damn hard for somebody to get into, and it would be hidden so unless you really searched you wouldnt find it under the carpet.

I looked at the locking inserts for the center console, but dosent seem like it'd last long vs. a crow-bar and a cordless drill. Thieves here are pretty crafty when you go to the bother of specifically locking something up like that. I guess they are expecting to find the hope diamond or something.

Tom

97 Purple TJ
Reply to
Tom Eller

Handywired did pass the time by typing:

Several options, Jotto makes one. Might get some good ideas by asking your local sheriff or highway patrol officers. Tuffy makes a good center console.

I have a carry permit also. Generally I keep the .357 in its holster or if I leave it in the Jeep it's secured with a cable lock to the seat frame.

Reply to
DougW

You guy's make a good argument for anti-gun lobbyists.No firearm should be left unattended in a vehicle.They should be on your person, locked in a safe/bonefide strongbox or secured area.Cabled to a seat?-You're kidding,right?

-Hank

Reply to
COLLIDE13

another Star of Africa would be nice :-)

Reply to
Dave Milne

What use is a loaded .357 if it is locked away?..

Reply to
Mike

i had the same problem, and solved it (reasonably well anyway). see

Nathan W. Collier

Is that a "between the rearseat and tailgate" type of box? Or is the rear folded up? or removed alltogether?

Reply to
SB

Good in theory, impossible in practice, at least if you want to obey the law. The carry laws in most areas prohibit carry in places like banks, post offices, school grounds, and any number of other places where most of us find it necessary to go in our daily lives. So you either break the law, or find some way of making sure your handgun is reasonably secure when you have to leave it. These laws are specifically designed this way in order to make it inconvenient or impractical for the average citizen to exercise his/her right to bear arms.

The original poster in this thread should be commended for trying to find a more secure way of storing his firearm, rather than insulted as a tool for the anti gunners. Cabled to a seat will deter a casual smash and grab theft in the parking lot, which is all that is needed when he is in the post office, picking up his kids, or what have you. He isn't asking about using his Jeep as a replacement for a gun safe 24/7.

Furthermore, by insinuating that he is somehow an irresponsible gun owner, YOU are acting as a bitch for the antis by perpetuating the falsehood that law abiding citizens are somehow to blame for the actions of thieves and other criminals. If somebody steals his gun, HE is the victim and bears no responsibity for that person's foul act, or acts that the thief may then commit with the stolen gun.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

yes, and provides room for my laptop and small arms.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Can we get an amen? Preach it brother, the anti-gun bastards need to know their place.

Reply to
Endo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Certainly this has gotten offtopic...and to add to that....by resorting to name calling you have shown yourself to be quite ignorant.

Next time try posting some info on the laws and such.

Reply to
SB

Correction. I never called him a bitch. I said he was behaving like one.

Which laws specifically did you have in mind? Do you even realize how much bandwidth that would suck up? I can't believe you suggested this right after complaining about off topic content. Sheesh.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

HAHa...ok fair enough.

I'm in Canada anyhow....so wouldn't understand. We had a gun registry here that has cost well over $1billion due to gov't mispending or whatever. And they still don't have it done yet.

We all had a deadline to register our guns and there were maybe 25% (definately less than half) of the guns registered. So, have the gun owners in Canada are now fugitives (or wanted....).

It's really hard to get a restricted license here....no concealment in Canada (not sure about Feds). Unrestricted you have to write the test and all...blah blah...

YES...WE ARE OFF TOPIC!! haha

Reply to
SB

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Damn, another Harley stumbles out of the bar. Howdy, Dale.

-- Old Crow '82 Shovelhead FLT 92" 'Pearl' '95 Jeep YJ Rio Grande ASE Certified Master Auto Tech + L1 TOMKAT, BS#133, SENS, MAMBM, DOF#51

Reply to
Old Crow

Extremists in all forms are bad..the ppl that say "Ban Guns for our children" and the idiots who feel it is necessary to cut deer in half when "hunting" with an M-16 or AK-47.....can't we find middle ground????

Reply to
Joseph P