Re: Exorbitant parking fees are yet another reason for keeping the car culture

>How much is a parking space worth? Obviously, in NYC, at least a few >hundred dollars per month. But, the value of the parking space includes >what else the land could be used for. For example, at the moment, my car >is in a parking space in Brooklyn (I left it there because I had to go >out of town for a week, and didn't feel like having 3 tickets on my car, >if I were lucky enough to not have it towed). > >>> If the cost is too much, take the bus or subway, walk or ride a bike. >> >> Yes, but the "Let 'em eat cake" solution isn't possible for everyone. > >Really? It works for millions of people in NYC. It can work elsewhere.

There is no other place like NYC in the US. It's a VERY poor example. Worse, it's not working so well in NYC... the MTA has recently cut a number of lines (V and W), and now intends to increase prices on its reduced service. NJ Transit has done the same, increasing prices

25% on reduced service. The PATH trains are still cheaper... it seems even an intergovernmental agency can manage not to lose money when the equipment is older than many of its riders and the trains are packed all day and all night.
I am, however, for people paying the actual cost of some things, like >energy (including the cost of defending our throops in the Middle East >and the cost of carbon dioxide produced),

Just adding in random costs doesn't make them actual costs.

of transportation and subsidies to the farmers). As far as the cost of >transportation, I am for the person being transported paying the full >cost, including the cost of the fuel (see above), the cost of the >congestion it causes and the cost of maintaining the streets and value >of the parking involved.

So do you expect the same from public transit riders, or is it just drivers?

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

It has about 5 or 6 of the US population around it and in it. Is a good example. In addition, Philly, Boston, Wash., D.C. and Chicago all have good public transportation systems. It is a good example of what could happen in other places, as well.

Gee, someone has to pay for it. BTW, while it cut lines, no stations were closed, and parallel lines go to all the stations. So, a few people have to change trains, but, it was not a huge interruption.

The fare increase is for monthly passes, which would go up to $104 per month. The basic fare ($2.25 per ride) would stay the same under the proposed fare increase.

Seems quite reasonable to me, although I do understand very well that it is a hardship to some people who are on a limited budget.

Gee, again, it is not free. Someone has to pay for it. This makes me glad I moved from NJ to NYC so I had a shorter commute (about 65 min down to less than 15 min - and no trains - I walk now).

Try again. Read the actual budget: PATH loses money, about $4 per passenger.

Who said anything different? Adding the real costs to products is different than random costs.

Both.

Jeff

Reply to
dr_jeff

Ha, that'll be the day! I once heard that, at least for the LA metro system the fares don't even pay for the cost of collecting them.

If public transport is such a public good, eliminate the fares completely.

Reply to
The Real Bev

That's not a bad idea, if it's done at the same time as eliminating the subsidies for other forms of transit. Gas taxes would have to be increased by about $11 per gallon to fully fund the cost of the road infrastructure, the defense costs of protecting the oil supply from the middle east, and the environmental costs. We'd have to tack on more fees on airline tickets as well to fund the full cost of airports, the FAA, etc.

Reply to
SMS

The roads benefit us all, unless you want to pick up your oranges in Florida or California (walking and pushing a wheelbarrow, of course), your bread in Kansas and your milk in Wisconsin. Another alternative is having trains make stops no further away from each home than a person can be pushed in a wheelchair. I guess we could each have our own well, since city water pipes are generally located under the no-longer-existing streets.

I'm suggesting that we NOT waste money collecting public transport fares (I mean trains, subways, buses, etc.) and lure motorists out of their cars -- permitting them to exchange hours of their lives for no-cost transportation should they so choose.

If we weren't protecting our middle-east oil supply, we'd be sending our armies somewhere else, so military costs are a wash. As I recall, there isn't a lot of oil in Viet Nam or Korea.

The environment will recover. Whenever I hear somebody talk about the fragile desert ecosystem I have to laugh. Only a few years after dirtriding was forbidden, we tried to find the place in Littlerock where we, along with a lot of others, used to park to go dirtriding. Couldn't do it. Juniper, creosote bush, sage etc. had completely covered what was once bare ground. Oh, wait, I forgot -- desertification is BAD, so we should be glad when our deserts are converted to...uh...whatever they get converted to. Around here it's mostly tract housing.

Reply to
The Real Bev

Excellent idea. Then throw another tax on gas and add bikes, and you are set up for the end of automobile empire.

Reply to
His Highness the TibetanMonkey

And if you add the environmental impact of gas, it adds even more to that tax. Famine and wars over water will be common place in this century as farmland disappears.

Hey, we still need trucks, buses and trains, but the automobile industry is not worth a penny.