Re: Motortrend article: 100 MPG+ Chevy Volt, GM's "Moon Shot"

>> I did that for my Prius, and discovered that it costs about 5c a mile >> for fuel. Remember, 100% of the Prius propulsion energy comes from >> gasoline. There is no other source whatsoever, but the hybrid system >> permits the use of a highly efficient ICE that has poor acceleration >> characteristics, supported by an electric motor which has maximum torque >> at zero rpm. The Volt, on the other hand, can be 100% plug-in for >> average days (for me), with the ICE entering the equation only when I >> drive further than, say, 40 miles between charges. >> >> If GM's Volt project delivers its promoted configuration, it will cost >> ME less than 3c per mile. > > psssst--you have to acquire (and depreciate) the vehicle first.

And replacement batteries. They don't last that long. All that cadmium, lithium, mercury, nickel or whatever they use. A $4000 battery pack pays for a lot of gasoline.

You are correct, depreciation is part of the cost of ownership, in the end the financial costs are about TCO including repairs, batteries, gasoline, tune-ups, cost of electricity, insurance etc. Not simply a flat mpg calculation. Even costs in renting alternative vehicles should be included if your lifestyle needs it (towing/hauling).

It is why GM and others need a full line of vehciles, as one size does not fit all.

Reply to
Canuck57

I am not too sure this is true. Son has both an Insight and a Civic Hybrid. The Insight is some 5-6 years old, and the Civic is older than that. Neither has had to be re-batteried. Neither of these is an all electric, but you get the analogy.

I believe he told me it would cost $1500 to rebattery the Insight, but dont quote me on that.( I have slept since that conversation).

His wife gets about 45-48 mpg with the Civic, and he claims up to 60-65 with the Insight. He mainly wanted the Insight so that he could use the HOV lanes in California, where they live.

Reply to
HLS