Re: No wonder everyone has gotten so goosey about grammar:

>> The Emperor ain't got none: >> >> >> Success is not no violence." >> George W. Bush, on Iraq, Washington, D.C., May 2, 2007 >> > There is no gramatical problem with that.

Maybe, but no teacher on this planet would let it slide without asking the

3rd grade child to find a better way to write it.
Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't you occasionally chimed in with the "schools aren't what they used to be" chorus?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Except... I teach some concepts and skills now, in 3rd grade, which *I* wasn't taught until late elem., JH, or even HS in the 60's. The curriculum (at least in NYS - can't speak for other states) has become fuller & tougher, esp. in the last dozen or so years, than it was then. Go figure.

The problem with pushing the curriculum down from the tiop (not watering it down, but teaching what used to be in the curriculum at higher gr. levels) is that the foundation material - esp. for Kdg. through 3rd - is getting squished out at the bottom, which annoys me no end.

Cathy

So, my point -

Reply to
Cathy F.

I agree w/most of your post, but not with a couple of points in this last paragraph. We (I) have no pressure from the administration to leave the teaching of social skills to the parents. Although I certainly do wish all of the parents would take care of the social skills, leaving only the academics to me! I don't mind *reinforcing* the soc. skills, but prefer not to have to actually teach them - from square one.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

In that case, Bush should have phrased it differently, knowing full well it would look stupid in print. All good speakers do that. The only ones who don't are known as idiots.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom
[...]

And as long as we're talking about what victory isn't, it's also apparently not no Saddam, not no WMD, not no nukes, not no mobile weapons labs, not no ties to al Qaeda, and not no anything else that Bush claimed before the war started. It amazes me to no end that people still quibble about Bush's grammar when he's made far larger mistakes and continues to do so. Mind the followups header.

Reply to
B.B.

It's a matter of style and class, neither of which Bush has. OK - he gets a little style when he has a script in front of him. But, not much.

Success is not defined as the absence of violence.

That's how an adult would write it.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

An *educated* adult. Junior only did two years at Ha Vaud.

F.H.

He is light years more class than you jsb.

Reply to
dbu,.

I think that if you look at Bush's statements from a syntax perspective, George has a lot of grammar problems putting words together to express coherent thoughts.

Reply to
tak

Let's put it this way: If an English teacher let it slide, I'd want to see that teacher reprimanded or fired. So would you. You're just defending Bush because you're required to.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Not as egregious as some of his attempts at eloquence, but certainly a contender.

Reply to
tak

Yes you are. If you saw a videotape of Bush sodomizing kindergarten kids, you'd find a way to turn it into a positive.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Must you plagiarize everything? Can't you write anything longer than ROFLMAO without outside sources?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

From [about us] at the link:

There is no limit to the topics appearing on American Thinker. National security in all its dimensions, strategic, economic, diplomatic, and military is emphasized. The right to exist and the survival of the State of Israel are of great importance to us. Business, science, technology, medicine, management, and economics in their practical and ethical dimensions are also emphasized, as is the state of American culture. [end quote]

Translation: neo-con think tank? Any piece on the state of the American Culture by Lifson ought to be interesting, no doubt concurring with Bush:

"The government doesn't have to help poor people, because they are lazy."

Thomas Lifson also wrote a piece titled "Don't misunderestimate Miers" LOL.

Reply to
F.H.

How about yourself, I've not seen one original thought from you. Only questions for others and referrals to left wing blogs, LOL. You are jokesparebedroom.

Reply to
dbu,.