Re: Oil Pump priming

Some cars are beginning to be equipped with electric supplemental oil pumps. These can prime the engines before starting. But most cars today, like the Camry, still use the older mechanical driven pumps tied to RPMs that do not generate more than 4-8 PSI during idle. ========

Here's an interesting new pre-oiler from Amsoil.

Info comes from worldlube.com/preoiler.html

Independent studies have concluded that engine wear during start-up is a major concern. Even though engine components remain dry for only a short period of time at ignition, when this circumstance is multiplied by the

400 to 600 dry starts a year by the average motorist, the potential for harmful metal-on-metal contact and significant wear is great.

The AMS-Oiler? is an oil pre-charger that puts an end to dry-engine starting. Typically, an engine that sits idle for even a short period of time will operate relatively dry upon starting before oil is able to fully lubricate the system. In fact, the automotive industry estimates that up to 50 percent of engine bearing wear occurs during the starting process. Indeed, the superiority of AMSOIL motor oils minimizes start-up wear by clinging to the metal surfaces, but even more can be done to concentrate the oil on the critical wear areas in an engine. With the AMS-Oiler in place, 160 cubic centimeters of oil is injected directly on the engine bearings and other wear sensitive surfaces upon turning of the key, giving instant protection to vital engine components.

The AMS-Oiler? outperforms gas and air charge systems. When the ignition key is turned to the on position, an audible alarm sounds while a

12-volt DC solenoid initiates the AMS-Oiler's operation. When the oil delivery process is complete, the alarm ceases and the operator can start the engine. The engine can be started at any time without damage to the AMS-Oiler?, however, the AMS-Oiler? is recharged by the pressure generated by the engine's oil pump. Complete recharge is accomplished within 40 seconds. The absence of a gas or air charge eliminates the possibility of cross-contamination of dirty gas or air with the engine oil, keeping the oil pure and performing optimally. The design of the AMS-Oiler? reservoir also protects the unit from ambient temperature fluctuations.

Specially crafted by AMSOIL technicians, the AMS-Oiler? is the culmination of extensive research and development. ?Our products are exceptional when it comes to reducing wear during operation,? said Technical Director Dave Anderson. ?The weakest link in the chain, however, was still during startup. With the AMS-Oiler?, we?re closing that last gap.?

With an extremely rugged chrome plated hi-grade carbon steel reservoir and anodized aluminum base, the AMS-Oiler? is crafted to withstand severe service and to perform reliably in any personal, commercial or industrial application.

Unlike other pre-charger systems, the AMS-Oiler? has no bulky moving parts which need maintenance and does not rely on pressurized gas to function. The AMS-Oiler? is a self contained, streamlined unit that has a mechanical life cycle exceeding one million engine starts, with no maintenance required. The AMS-Oiler? is self-lubricating with an integrated overpressure protection device that protects units from retaining pressures in excess of 90 p.s.i.

In order to meet consumers? needs, AMSOIL has designed two AMS-Oiler? models to cover all applications. The first model is crafted to attach directly to the AMSOIL Dual-Remote and Dual-Guard By-Pass Filtration mounts, with the second model designed as a stand-alone system for all other engine applications up to 500 CID (cubic inch displacement)(8.2L). The AMS-Oiler? retro-fit applicability to the AMSOIL By-Pass filtration systems provides a convenient perch for quick installation. For non by-pass-equipped engines, the stand-alone AMS-Oiler? mounts easily at any angle to accommodate virtually every engine.

With the new AMS-Oiler?, AMSOIL continues to make lubrication history, with quality still the number one priority.

Reply to
Built_Well

concern. Even though

this circumstance is

potential for harmful

Typically, an engine that

starting before oil is able

up to 50 percent of

superiority of AMSOIL motor oils

be done to concentrate the

cubic centimeters of oil

upon turning of the key,

is turned to the on

AMS-Oiler's operation. When

start the engine. The

the AMS-Oiler? is

recharge is accomplished within

cross-contamination of

optimally. The design of the

extensive research and

during operation,? said

still during startup.

anodized aluminum base, the

any personal, commercial

which need maintenance and

contained, streamlined unit that

maintenance required. The

device that protects units

to cover all applications.

Dual-Guard By-Pass

all other engine

retro-fit applicability to

installation. For non

angle to accommodate

quality still the number

So, what does it cost to buy and have installed in, say a 99 Camry?

Reply to
sharx35

sharx35 wrote: >

Looks like $300 to $400 before installation.

Reply to
Built_Well

If one is buying a new, expensive vehicle...might be worth looking into.

Reply to
sharx35

Modifying the oiling system on a new vehicle may void the warranty.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Good point.

Reply to
sharx35

I use to install oil pressure gauges on my cars. They all would show around 30 PSI of oil pressure at idle after the oil warmed up. Pressure would rise to about 50-60 PSI at speed. If you only have 4-8 PSI at idle you better get your engine fixed or it's not long for this world.

snip

Yes!!! This pre-oiler would be worth the money!! Where can I buy one? I'm having trouble getting my engines to last more than about

150,000 to 200,000 miles. If I can get one of these, my engine would never wear out!

Old P.T. was right--one born every minute!

Jack

Reply to
Retired VIP

========

Retired VIP, your wonderful Jewish humor is much appreciated :-)

Thanks for your input :-)

Reply to
Built_Well

========

I'm sure someone as knowledgeable about cars as Retired VIP knows that Amsoil, the seller of that pre-oiler system, is a highly respected motor oil manufacturer. Amsoil was the first company to market synthetic car oil, way back in the 1970's.

Pre-oiler systems do have some legitimate applications. And not all engines make it to 150,000 miles :-)

Reply to
Built_Well

.

It seems as if the alarm would be pretty annoying, especially to people who always fasten their seat belts to avoid listening to warning alarms.

Just about any modern engine will easily last well over 150,000 miles when properly maintained, and other components will likely need replacement before a modern engine wears out. A pre-oiler is not a substitute for proper maintenance, and engines can fail or require expensive repairs because of neglected or damaged cooling systems, oil leaks, cheap fuel,.and lack of timely oil changes. If cooling systems, air conditioners, transmissions, suspension parts, or body parts are neglected, they can also require expensive repairs.

Reply to
Ray O

That's an interesting point about the cheap fuel, by which I suppose you mean Regular 87 octane? That's one reason why I've been using Shell Vpower, the name of their premium gasoline. It's suppose to have 5 times the detergents required by standards and/or government regulation.

Reply to
Built_Well

By "cheap fuel," I mean fuel from non name-brand gas stations. Stick to name brand gas stations that sell a good volume of fuel. Stations that do not sell a lot of fuel could get condensation in the underground fuel tank, which contaminates the fuel. Ironically, we had a fuel tank and pump at our office, but since we were only filling 30 or 40 cars a week, we only had to fill up the fuel tank 2 or 3 times a year, and the fuel eventually got contaminated.

IMHO, using a higher octane fuel than is recommended by the automaker is a waste of money.

If you are really interested in getting good quality fuel, google "top tier gasoline" and use the automaker's recommended octane from those top tier brands.

Reply to
Ray O

========

Well, it may not be a total waste of money if some merchants add more detergents to their premium brand, like Shell does. A little googling shows that Shell's Top Tier grades vary from 2 times the minimum EPA requirement for cleaning agents (in their Regular grade) to

5 times the EPA minimum in their premium grade called Vpower.

Here's an interesting tid-bit about Vpower:

"Shell regular and Plus gasolines, which meet the "Top Tier" standard, also contain more than two times the amount of cleaning agents required by the EPA. Shell V-Power goes even further -- it has more than five times the minimum amount of cleaning agents required by government standards (and twice the cleaning agents required by the "Top Tier" standard).

"While the "Top Tier" standard is designed to protect engines from the /future/ build-up of carbon deposits, Shell V-Power is specifically formulated to actively clean your engine as you drive giving it the ability to clean-up deposits that /have already built up/ on intake valves and fuel injectors."

Also of note is ExxonMobil's absence from the Top Tier list of brands. That was surprising.

Reply to
Built_Well

Amsoil---Never heard of them!

You are right, not all engines last 150,000 miles. The ones owned by people who think proper maintenance is buying and installing the latest fad usually won't. There is NO SUBSTITUTE for proper maintenance. Change your engine oil and filter when the manufacture recommends. Change your air filter when it's dirty, don't buy one of those $50, last a life time, air filters.

Modern automobile engines are made with such precision and care that they can easily out last almost ever other part of the car. If it lasts for 5,000 miles, it will last for 200k to 300k with proper care. If you think about it, your car is the second most expensive purchase you will ever make. Why wouldn't you want it to last?

Jack

Reply to
Retired VIP

It's your money!