Re: {OT} Comcast Sucks. Comcast REALLY sucks! Comcast REALLY REALLY SUCKS!!! Did I mention COMCAST SUCKS?!?!

I stick with my old twisted pair, it has so far never failed us even when power has been out for several days. I noticed the phone co. sets up generators at certain places to power the phone lines when power is out. You are right the old ma bell lines are the most reliable.

As for the other stuff, maybe but right now I'll stick with cable for internet. Thanks.

Reply to
dbu

Wow Bruce, I was gonna respond to Hachi with a much less detailed explanation (since I don't remember the details) but your explanation is much better than I coulda done with quick google!

On that note, I've used other people's DSL before and it was fine for web surfing but Cable has definately been consistently quicker. Every now and then things may slow down a little but really noticible since I'm not downloading huge amounts of data (movies).

I remembered the 3 mile fule from the central office to the end user, and the closer you are the quicker it gets. Makes me wonder how many COs they have around...

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

But downloading movies over the net is the Next Big Thing, and even the Cable Co's are selling it now. And they sell VoIP Phone service along with their Internet and CATV offerings - and the Cable Co's are also in the forefront of discriminatory practices against "big bandwidth users" where they aren't making money off you.

The Cable Co's are the ones that invented ways to spoof BitTorrent and make it fail after a few seconds. And they want to break other big file shares too, or restrict the bandwidth you get - so you can't suck up all that "unlimited" bandwidth that they want to sell as movies on demand.

Go look up "Net Neutrality" and you'll get an eyefull.

In legacy Bell areas they would install fewer CO's and more heavy gauge loaded cables. Which is why I'm out on the fringes of the CO DSL range even in a huge city.

In legacy GTE and Independent areas they tended to go with closer spaced and smaller switchrooms and less loaded cable, except in the far rural areas.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Yeah, both are very good points, although I would never get VoIP as a primary phone unless I was desperate. I like the reliability of the good 'ol copper POTS. Once power goes out, so does your comcast/VoIP. Comcast is consistently raising their prices, definately outstripping inflation. Their tech support has been next to useless on the past few calls in regards to these newsgroups.

Yeah, there are pros and cons both ways. The death of service and value.

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

Yeah - I wish I had better choices here. Living in a condo, so for this complex the choices are really limited...

Reply to
Dave L