Re: Prius Preening: Is my hybrid turning my kids into eco-snobs?

> Prius Preening: Is my hybrid turning my kids into eco-snobs? > By Emily Bazelon > ....... > "Why are Prius sales surging when other hybrids are slumping, the Times > asked? Because buyers "want everyone to know they are driving a hybrid." > According to a marketing survey (which the Times ran in a graphic I > couldn't hide from), more buyers bought the Prius this year because it > "makes a statement about me" (57 percent) than because of its better gas > mileage (36 percent) or lower carbon dioxide emissions (25 percent) or new > technology (7 percent). " > ..... > > Ed >

Doing the right thing is being a snob??? Screw 'em.

Reply to
mark digital©

Doing the right thing is good, but a lot of people are buying them merely as 'status symbols' like the actors did in the early days.

Has more to do with "Look at me" than anything else.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Exactly. I read of some celebs who drove in SUVs to within a few miles of an event, then switched to their Priuses to make an entrance. Much like those who trailer their Harley to Laughlin or Daytona for a biker event, then unload the bike and ride into town.

Another: I'd like a iPhone. I'm a Mac fan, and it's a great first attempt. Paris Hilton (of course) has one, though I'm sure she has an aid to find the power button for her.

That said, it's a first generation EDGE phone. I'll wait for version 2.0 as I want it on the 3G network.

But to have one NOW is the unfortunate goal of most, without regarding the function.

Reply to
witfal

Okay, not everyone can be coldly intellectual about the efficiency of the Atkinson-Miller Cycle engine that is responsible for the exceptional mileage the Prius can get out of a gallon of gasoline. If their more personal reasoning sells Prius automobiles - - why not? The object is to remove as many of the Otto Cycle vehicles from the roads as possible, and put them in huge used-car lots, where there will be much crying and gnashing of teeth. Yeah!

Reply to
Chuck Olson

If I ever get my mitts on one, I'll be doing 45 in the 45 mph zone.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Well, I suppose that's one way of putting it.

And I suppose any means to the end is acceptable.

But I have one question for Hybrid owners: when you see my fire-breathing blus Supra coming up behind you, do you suppose you can STEP ON THE GAS?!?!?!

22 MPH in a 45 MPH zone DOESN'T CUT IT!!!
Reply to
Hachiroku

That's better! Trouble is, I'm usually doing 50-60!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Count me in the "for the mods, for stealth mode, and the fact that with the proper inverter you can draw 5KW from the traction battery continuously to use it as a backup generator for your house." category. Now if I can just get MY mitts on one I will be grinning from ear to ear, not smugly, just out of sheer happiness.

BTW both the person who wrote both this article and all the ones about you-know-who getting pulled over doing 100MPH @ 2 AM in one need to learn that there is no such thing as a blue prius. The color closest to blue is called "Seaside Pearl".

Reply to
Daniel Who Wants to Know

Pot calling kettle black.

Reply to
mark digital©

"Daniel Who Wants to Know" wrote in message news:dqhni.31527$Fc.6804@attbi_s21...

LOL...It's still blue.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

"Hachiroku ...

We do 47 in the 45 zone just fine in the Prius.

And the other thing is most cars (IMO) are chosen for what they say about a person, from the trucks to the Prius to the Mercedes to the Yugo. My daily driver is a Jeep because I like to drive it and I like to be seen in it. I think this is normal. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Last time I bought something to turn heads was the purchase of my speed boat. Looking back I can't figure out why an open 454 Chevy coupled with a BerkleyJet Pump drew so much attention. But I can say this much; the crowd couldn't afford it. This brings me to your statement. The people you think admire you and your Jeep are lesser well off or their priorities are in a different direction. My oldest son now owns the boat and I watch how he treats it. I can tell he thinks people are admiring it from a distance but the truth be known it's more like they're questioning if he's going to take all day to put it in or take it out of the water.

Reply to
mark digital©

Yeah...same with my Supra... ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

"Daniel Who Wants to Know" wrote in message news:dqhni.31527$Fc.6804@attbi_s21...

Looks blue to me. Certainly doesn't look silver, or goldish, or red, or white, or black, or green... looks blue. A shade of blue that I don't like, but that's beside the point.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Well, color code 8S2, available on the 2004-current Prius, in the US it is called "Seaside Pearl," but it is a shade of blue.

As opposed to the other Prius colors: Aqua Ice Opalescent (color code 761) Brilliant Blue Pearl (color code 8K8) Blue Moon Pearl (color code 8P5) which are all also a shade of blue.

Reply to
mrv

Was this one on the previous version - '03? I really liked that color.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

761, Aqua Ice Opalescent (as it was called in the US), was available for the 2001-2003 Classic NHW11 model years in the US. (That was the closest to blue I could get when I bought my 2001 Prius, without going to Canada for their extra colors...) Based on photos, I think the color may have also been available on the older NHW10 as well (but I don't know for sure).
Reply to
mrv

A Toyota color code that begins with 7 is actually a green hue. Blue color codes begin with 8, black begins with 2, white with 0, red with 3, grey/silver with 1, and browns with 4.

Reply to
Ray O

I had to mix some of this one time.

This is a COOL color! You ought to see what goes into it.

And it 'flashes' from green to blue depending on the angle of the light. If you get behind a Prius of this color, the trunk looks blue while the sides of the car look green.

The best effect, though, is watching one pass in front of you and seeing it change from blue to green as it goes by.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Interesting. See my response to mrv above.

It *looks* blue in the can!

But, of course you are right. Toyota codes are 8 for the blues.

Reply to
Hachiroku