Struts

Is changing the struts on my 2000 Camry something I should be able to do? My mechanical skills include changing brakes, belts, alternators, water pumps...stuff like that.

Reply to
David Glass

You'll need a spring compressor to do that. If you've never used one before, BE REAL CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!! When you have a spring squeezed down to change the damper, there's enough potential energy in there to do serious damage. One guy I worked with a while back had one come apart on him and it put a small hole in his hand. Literally, a hole. Oh, and you'll also need to align it afterwards, as your camber will be out of whack. Thats not nearly as dangerous, though.

Reply to
Qslim

Many place will loan or rent the spring compressor --- ensure you get one with the safety hooks. Or you could remove the struts and take them to a shop to have the springs compressed and new struct bolted in. Not hard job - other than spring compressor you'll need a long breaker bar (1/2"), jack stands, wheel chocks, and a good garage floor jack.

Reply to
Wolfgang

You _should_ be able to take on this job. The struts need a Spring Compressor tool that is essentially two blocks of metal that have a hook molded into them, and a very long bolt connecting them together. You need two of these tools - they are used in sets of two. Many auto parts houses will let you check them out, like checking a book out from the library except they bill you for the tools then give a full refund on the return.

Use the spring compressor to hold the spring in a compressed state, then when you remove the bolts and let the suspension drop, the spring and shock (strut) can be removed from the car, the shock replaced, and the whole mess put back in place.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

They type of spring compressor that Jeff is describing here can be very dangerous! If it fails or slips, the pieces can easily penetrate wood and drywall. Make sure you get directions and follow them exactly or see if you can rent a professional type compressor.

In any event, you will need to have the car re-aligned to re-set the camber.

Reply to
Ray O

YES IT CAN!!!

If you have another tool that performs this job, please share it with us, or me.

I thought this WAS the professional type compressor ...

I recently put new shocks on my daughter's PreRunner, and the alignment was not disturbed. The adjustment bolts are not affected by this operation. That is, the adjustment is at the other end of the bars and links that have to be taken off, and the bolts that are removed fit very snuggly.

I am not sure that it is true that one must always have the alignment done. Yes, there is a chance, I suppose. But I don't see any specific requirement. One should be prepared to have an alignment done, but I see no need to automatically go out and spend the money.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

For an example of what I consider a DIY style strut compressor:

Because the 2 halves of the compressor are not connected, if 1 side breaks or flies off, the other can let go. If you're lucky, you might trash your car or garage. If you're not lucky, you're dead. To see an examaple of a professional strut compressor
- if the link doesn't work, go to
and then click on the Strutamer link. Other pro compressors are wall mounted and completely encase the strut assembly so it will contain any flying pieces.

Real trucks do not have a strut suspension so you can change a shock without having to do an alignment. The PreRunner is a real truck and does not have a strut suspension so you can change shocks without doing an alignment.

Contrary to what Jeff says, you must have an alignment after changing struts in the OP's Camry. Any competent professional will confirm this. Shortcuts like marking the eccentrics or eyeballing the marks are an iffy thing and the cost of an alignment is a lot less than the cost of replacing tires because you followed bad advice.

Reply to
Ray O