Re: What Is an American Car?

One of the shortcomings of the NA content label that causes confusion is, if one imports ALL of the components used to make the part but assembles the part in NA, the part is then considered made in NA.

If you look at a Camry, made totally in Japan and imported into the US, it has a NA content label that says X percent of the parts are made in NA when obviously they are not.

Even Toyota in it advertizing, no longer say the Camry in made in America. Is says the Camry is "made in America of world sourced parts."

>>However, the MATERIALS and the COMPONENTS used to ASSEMBLE the Camry and >>the >>parts do NOT originate in the US or Canada, according the US Commerce >>Department. > >

Gives US/Canada origin parts content and location of assembly for > 2005-2009 vehicles sold in the US (though 2009 is incomplete now). > > According to the stuff there, the 2009 Camry (non-hybrid) has 75% > US/Canada origin parts. For 2008 and 2007, the percentage was 70% > and 75% respectively. Final assembly is listed as being both > US/Canada and outside (which you can determine for each individual > car by looking at the first character of the VIN). > > -- > ------------------------------------------------------------------------ > Timothy J. Lee > Unsolicited bulk or commercial email is not welcome. > No warranty of any kind is provided with this message.
Reply to
Mike Hunter

How are they obviously not made in NA? Do they have labels on them that say, "Made in Japan?" or are the parts stamped, "Japan?"

A lot of Camrys sold in the US are made in the US and a lot are made in Japan. The domestic content label is average of all Camrys sold in the US.

Yeah. And America is part of the world. Where else would we get the parts? Pluto?

Jeff

4$ snipped-for-privacy@news.sonic.net...
Reply to
Jeff

How are they obviously not made in NA? Do they have labels on them that say, "Made in Japan?" or are the parts stamped, "Japan?"

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I thought you knew the first digit of the VIN says the car is made in Japan? LOL