Remote Starter and check engine P138 (Oxygen Sensor)

I got an after market Remote Starter installed on my Toyota Matrix

2005 (manual) and couple of weeks later I got a Check engine error P138 - Oxygen Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 2). The sensor was replaced by Toyota dealer but poped back again 2 days later. I was wondering if a wrong wiring of the remote starter could cause this Oxygen sensor problem. Here is the timeline of the events:

- Remote starter was installed

- Third day an airback light went ON, after a restart disapeared and never came back.

- 1 month later, in very cold wheather the starter didn't start, the garage did a patch (diode on the hand brake??)

- It worked for a week, then the check engine error 138 poped up

- 2 days without the check engine error, then poped again, the sensor was verified by Toyota dealer and it seemed ok.

I read in some threads that the ECU could be dammaged if the key entry bypass was not done properly, but I guess that I would have seen the problem right after installation no?

Thanks for any help or suggestions on how to solve this problem.

Reply to
mpohanka

The remote starter probably did not cause the oxygen sensor fault, unless whoever installed the remote starter really messed things up, like tapping into the O2 sensor circuit.

I am not a fan of aftermarket remote starters and security systems because they tend to be very troublesome, and to compound things, installers tend to not know what they are doing.

My recommendation is to let the dealership work out the problem.

Reply to
Ray O