Replace Neutral Position Switch on Corolla AT?

My friend is swapping ATs. While trying to change the connector for his

1995 Corolla's neutral position switch on the transmission, the shaft snapped off. The bolt was rusted and it snapped immediately when he tried to undo it. Does anyone know if that means heI needs another transmission, or is there a way to replace/repair it?
Reply to
stevelibert

When you say neutral "position" switch, I assume you mean the neutral safety switch. Which "shaft" snapped off? If you mean that the head snapped off of the shank of the bolt that holds the neutral safety switch, have your friend spray penetrating oil on the shank and tap lightly with a hammer, let it sit for an hour, and repeat 2 or 3 times and let it sit overnight. The next day, use a screw extractor like an easy-out to remove the bolt shank. Worst case, drill out the bolt and use a heli-coil to re-install the neutral safety switch.

Reply to
Ray O

I will pass along the info..Thanks Ray..

Reply to
stevelibert

You're welcome!

Reply to