location of solenoid on jeep cherokee sport 96 4.0L Neutral Safety Switch?

Crazy question but where is the solenoid on this year jeep? I tried to trace from hot terminal of battery but everything is going into a flexible conduit. I traced on line into the fuse box, but then there is an entanglement of lines. I would think it would be in a position to bypass it from the hood for testing solenoid.

I think I may have a bad neutral safety switch ... I have a hard time getting the vehicle to crank over in the park position, but usually consistant starting in neutral position. I also noticed my backup/reverse lights in the rear do not light up when iengage reverse. I remember somewhere these lights rout via the NSS. Sound like the NSS is bad or needs cleaning? That is if it is possible to clean or repair it.

Any links to finding/fixing/replacing the NSS and the Crank Position Sensor?

I was told the CPS is another issue with cherokees and I may just go ahead and replace this unit also.

Any help appreciated.

Reply to
josh00

Get out the old cheap copy of Haynes and look in the wiring diagram section, it has a really good schematic of the switch wires.

Look on the rear passenger side of the fire wall, right around the tranny dip stick, you should have one maybe two harnesses running down towards the underside, one of these harnesses will have 5-6 wires and a rectangular connector. If you have the Haynes or any other schematic of the system (or a valid email, will send) you can match up the colour code.

If you want to temporarily bypass the switch for addition trouble shooting and short term use of vehicle (i.e. to use the Jeep to run and buy beer for the rest of the fix) I would suggest doing all bypassing on the switch side of the before mentioned connector, as a new switch (or replacement from a wrecker) will have the harness.

At about $350 cdn ($300 usd) I don't think you really want to buy one from the stealership, so read this and have fun.

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

The problem with the CPS is usually the plug and socket for them. It get corroded easy and fails because it is only passing computer signal current.

A good clean with a spray contact cleaner and then a skim of dielectric grease on the plug's seal skirt does them wonders. Same for the plugs and sockets on the throttle body. Our 88 needs them cleaned every couple years.

The CPS plug sits on the back of the intake manifold and the CPS is on the bell housing just behind the manifolds.

One comment on the park switch, it can be adjusted...

Mike

Mike Romain