Replace VVTI?

I have a 2001 Corolla that I bought new and have maintained well. The only thing that has gone wrong with it other than routine maintenance is that the check engine light has come on. The first time, they replaced the evaporation cannister, the second the mass air flow sensor. Now it's come on again and they say it needs a new VVTI valve, which may mean replacing the timing chain. The car has 115,000.

My problem is--I really want to run this car to 250,000. At the same time, I really don't want to pay for this repair and then have some other problem come up later.

I'm looking at two options.

(1) Limp along for a year or so without fixing it and then trade it in. Is this an option? How safe is it to drive? It sounds fine, but the check engine light comes on for a day or so, then goes off, etc. How long could we drive it safely in this condition?

(2) Fix it and hope it runs for another 100,000. This seems like a pretty major repair. Is it really possible to do well? Is it likely that other problems will come up? Has anyone else had this replaced (and, possibly, the timing chain) and had good results?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Toyowner

Reply to
Toyowner

Did they give you an estimate? I have heard of timing chain replacemets going as high as $800.

Reply to
Hachiroku

That is right, this would be anywhere between $900 and $1400, depending on whether they have to replace the chain.

Reply to
Toyowner

I cant see leaving it as it is causing any problems if you dont race it around - it has a failsafe of falling back to normal valve timing so you will just lose the top end performance gain of VVTi. If its the actuator thats in the cam end you'll need a belt change, but it could be the valve that controls the oil pressure to the VVTi mechanism, in which case i cant see it needing a new chain/belt - you'd need it clarifying , try to find an online Owners Club for your car and ask there - they'll know the engine inside and out with any luck.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

I don't understand why replacing a VVTi control valve would necessitate replacing the chain. Did they offer an explanation there? I've replaced more than a few of those things on that engine and its a pretty straight forward job. Which trouble code are you getting?

Reply to
qslim

Having checked out the diagram it is actually a chain, so no need to replace even if you're taking it off, and the valve can be changed without taking that off. The only thing that might require it is if the actuator needed replacing, and even then the chain would be ok.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Well, this is quite interesting. Basically, they said that they would have to get down in there and see if they could replace the VVTi without replacing the chain. I am taking it to another dealer next week, so perhaps a second opinion couldn't hurt here.

Any ideas on whether I am hurting the engine by driving it around with the check engine light coming on and off intermittently? I think the one post says it is just affecting high-end performance, is that right?

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Toyowner

If the VVTi mechanism is not working correctly then there is no long-term damage to the engine, although it will not pass an emissions test with thee check engine light illuminated.

Reply to
Ray O

Right on Ray. What the VVTi valve we're talking about here does is direct oil pressure to the end of the intake cam during higher engine speeds. In doing so, the intake valve timing advances allowing the engine to breathe more easily. If the valve is indeed the part in question and not operating like it should and displaying an MIL, the VVTi simply won't work. It's just like driving a corolla from a few years back before the system was installed, no harm done other than the light.

Reply to
qslim