Replacing timing belt

Hi I'm hoping someone can help me. I have a 1984 Toyota Corona CS 2.0L (ST141 series) auto. The timing belt has broken. When replacing valve timing belt where should timing marks be aligned to, both top and bottom pulley. I did have a manual, but lent it to "friend" who has now "lost" it. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated (also saving me from having to pay a mechanic to fix this).

Cheers Julie

Reply to
Michael & Julie-Anne Kunde

Set #1 cylinder to top dead center compression by turning the crankshaft clockwise. The mark on the bottom pulley should align with the mark. Rotate the camshaft(s) so that it is also aligned with the mark, it should also be pointing straight up. The new belt should have marks to help you align the pulleys.

Reply to
Ray O

Buy a service manual, Haynes (ok, generic) or Toyota (Best). Some public libary carry service manuals. Also check ebay for used manuals. Not sure what the setup is for the corona, but you may need some special tools, like air compressor/impact wrench to get the bolt off the crankshaft pulley. While you are replaceing timing belt, consider the other items in that area the maybe worn and require replacing, like water pump, thermostat, hoses, crank seals, etc.

Reply to
jjjsan

Thanx Ray - will try & set how it goes

Julie