Timing belt adjustment tips....?

When I try to adjust the belt tension after lining up the crankshaft and ca mshaft timing mark it the marks always seem to shift by one or two teeth af
ter turning the crankshaft 2 turns. A friend was help me and we got to adju sted by keeping tension on belt to the bottom pulleys and gears while movin g the timing gear. Is there another way to adjust the timing belt...?
Adjust it off one or two teeth in the opposite direction, then when tension is put on you should be right on.
Vito