Replacing timing belt

What would be the easiest way to replace the timing belt without tearing everything apart? I have a 1992 Cabriolet 1.8 liter.

Reply to
Eric

"Eric" wrote

I did it the old fashion way, but I heard of one technique perhaps could be corrected: you take the covers off and loosen the belt only enough to be able to get a new belt on. The old belt is then with a box cutter cut in half with the outside of the belt removed. Making sure it is not loose enough to skip any cogs but loose enough to force the new belt on, you push the new belt on where you cut 1/2 of the old belt off on the outside of the timing gear-cogs. Once the new belt is halfway on, you cut the old belt off and push the new belt the rest of the way on. The problem with this, if it works for some people, is that you can't change, or makes it much more difficult without losing the timing setting, the tensioner that has a bearing that is known to make noise if worn or even freeze up. I have changed a few timing belts and a couple of times that tensioner bearing was frozen and not turning. I don't know how the belt, that must have been loose enough not to burn through from friction, didn't fail.

Harry

Reply to
Harry

bring it to my house!

Reply to
Woodchuck

If you have never replaced a timing belt, your best bet is to take it to a reliable mechanic. Doing a timing job (if you slip a cog) is not a fun job.

Reply to
Papa

I just replaced mine on an 89 cab the same way I did it on the following cars: 96 jetta gas (twice), 86 jetta diesel, 91 geo prizm, 91 acura integra (friends car).

First (cab specific) you have to remove all v-belts and pulleys. Hint - leave the belts on first to loosen the pulley bolts. Then remove upper and lower timing belt covers.

Buy a bottle of touch up paint - the kind with the brush applicator in the bottle cap.

At each location where the belt meets a cogged pully paint both the pully (a tooth) and the belt with a mark no wider than one tooth of the belt. Paint both the side (very slim side where the painted tooth is sitting) of the belt and the outside surface of the belt with this mark.

Take the old belt off. Match it up side by side with the new belt and paint the same marks on the new belt. Double check your work lining up the teeth of both belts.

Put the new belt on lining up all the paint marks. This technique has never failed me.

Dave

Eric wrote:

Reply to
David Sykes