run flat tires and winter

I own a 2005 Honda Odyssey Touring Edition minivan which I love. One significant problem however, has arisen: It has run flat tires and there are no snow tires manufactured to replace them.

I have tried the dealership (who is alot less interested in me now that I bought the car,) Michelin, Goodyear, Honda America HQ and various tire stores looking for a solution. No one has a viable answer other than:

a) the car doesn't need snow tires (it does,)

b) change the tires to regular tires, ignore the low tire pressure warning light (here Honda did have relevant information by warning me that they would make no promises regarding the warranty on the multithousand dollar sensor system if I chose this option.)

We live in the snowbelt and snow tires are important.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Yours in winter,

Sheena

Reply to
cguarino

oops, posted on the wrong board, sorry.

Reply to
cguarino

Sure buy four conventional winter rubber tires and don't worry about tire pressure sensors. The only thing they do is transmit a tire pressure signal to an enunciator to keep it turned off, unless the pressure drops below a specific PSI.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Call tirerack (tirerack.com) and check with them. You may need different wheels or you may just need a different size tire.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

I saw your "oops, wrong newsgroup", BTW. But it's still important to run snow tires if you live in the snow - much better than constantly ending up in the ditch. Myself, I'd call Honda and ask what do you do to turn off the tire pressure sensors while you have your winter tires on.

(Then again, I also choose to not live in snow country.) ;-P

You do know that most of the pressure sensor systems involve simply monitoring tire rotations with very sensitive anti-lock brake pickups? A flat tire rotates a fraction slower than the others, and the ABS sensors at each wheel pick up on it. For that type system, all you have to do is put on your new tires, make sure they're inflated properly, and hit the reset button for the sensor system.

If it is a 'sender in the rim' system, you'll just have to pull the fuse on the system for the winter, and take it upon yourself to check the tires - do a walk-around inspection each time you get in the car, and check with a gauge weekly.

Oh, and you'll need to carry a fifth tire and rim, and a jack & lug wrench if you plan to venture very far from home. ;-)

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman