Running out of Ideas, HELP

I have a 1989 Toyota Celica ST model, been trying to make it run, out of luck. The problem is non-starting, it just cranks, thats it. So I thought it could be in the ignition system or the fuel system. I started with replacing the fuel filter, checked the fuel pump, it seems to work because i founs gasoline in the fuel filter system and I can smell some gas, still no engine life. So I did ignitionn test, there was no spark. I check everything,replace the igniter, replace the ignition coil, new wire, spark plug, check air gap ,tested resistance of the primary and secondary coil(ok), resistance of the pick up coil(ok) replace the main engine relay, thenm try it again, to no avail.Again it only cranks then nothing. I observed that the engine light icon does not come out when I start the engine, does it mean anything to anybody. Do I have a bad ignition switch? But why can I crank the starter?? Am running out of ideas, anybody who can help me, or a bit of advice, will be very much appreciated...

Reply to
Dan49

Remove the distributor cover. Crank the engine while a friend watches, or watch while a friend cranks the engine.

Then, replace the timing belt, because if the rotor isn't >roting

Reply to
Hachiroku

be logical, check for all the engine bits turning, check for compression, check for spark put new plugs in, check for fresh fuel, check air can get in. if you have all those and the timing is correct then it should attempt to start, also possible that the exhaust is blocked, but very unlikely.

if you have compression and spark, then try spraying some carb cleaner in the air inlet while cranking, if it attempts to start you know there is a fuel problem.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

It's jus ta piece of crap TOYOTA. Junk it!

Reply to
Weird

Coming from someone who drives a Yugo?

Or was that you I saw on a moped last week?

Don't bother, Troll...

Reply to
Hachiroku

r right, actually thinking of donating the damn thing, but it has become a bit of a challenge, I am determined to make it right,yes, the timing belt is ok, because the rotor turns. My big question is, if you can make the starter run,does it mean the electrical circuit for the ignition system is ok. wihin the ignition switch, the reason I asked is because that is the only thing i have not tested yet, the voltage of the wiring from the ignition swith to the coil, should I replace my ignition swith?? could the problem be the switch??

Reply to
Dan49

The ability to engage the starter from the ignition switch does not necessarily mean the ignition switch is good, however, if the rest of the car works, i.e., radio, turn signals, etc. when the ignition switch is in the on position, then it is probably good.

Reply to
Ray O

thanks to all, i did all ur suggestion, still am not gettign any spark, the problem i believe is somewhere in the ignition system but where...could it be the ecu is the problem? thanks again

Reply to
Dan49

It would be helpful if you quoted previous posts so that people responding know pertinent information about your car.

I don't remember your year, model, engine, what you have tried, and what has been suggested.

The ECU itself is rarely the problem - failure rate is like 1 per million. Start our with OEM distributor cap, rotor, wires, and plugs. Check the igniter.

Reply to
Ray O