Several Red Flags For Spotting A Phony Or Scam

The world is full of phonies and scammers these days. They use various mediums such as phone solicitation, spam email, magazine and newspapers ads, TV infomercials, and plain old snail mail. They are constantly searching for their next victim. Like P.T. Barnum once said, "there's a sucker born every minute", so there's a plenteous pool.

To all of those potential victims, I offer some tips for spotting phonies and scams. There are several red flags you need to watch out for. Any of the following is almost always a dead giveaway that you have encountered a potential phony or scammer:

1) Someone claims to possess "secret" information. In today's world there are very few true secrets left. The news media is all over just about everything that goes on. Any information that someone tries to keep secret quickly gets exposed and reported to the world. Also, ask yourself, "why isn't the mainstream media interested in that 'secret'?"

2) A person repeatedly states that his/her extraordinary claims are "absolutely true", "not a joke", "completely accurate", or something else along those lines. If their claims are genuine, then those claims should stand on their own merit. Constant repetition of statements meant to reinforce the validity of their claims would not be necessary.

3) Someone's claim is not realistic and doesn't make sense. Remember what they say about things being too good to be true? Someone once showed me an ad in which a "home developer" was looking for people to build homes for and only

xikom03

You forgot one: Anyone who calls everyone "folks" and speaks in a fake Texas accent cannot be trusted.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

witfal

Like I said...

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I detest her, but after seeing that the first time, I actually felt embarrassed FOR her.

Bush, otoh, has the accent that comes with actually living there. Even an American who moves to England permanently acquires a mild Brit accent after a few years.

Reply to
witfal

Brownshirts like you don't understand exaggeration for humor and effect. Odd, given your domestic situation, that you would hold such contempt for a strong woman. Wait......, on second thought....

Reply to
F.H.