Sienna config/mod?---How to keep power to "car lighter" sockets always on.

2006 Sienna LE(2)

I'm often in the position of wanting to leave my cell phone in the car, and since they are smart enough to relay off when filled, and lithium ions actually prefer to be shallow charged often, it will not hurt anything. There are *other* reasons for wanting always-on too, not worth getting into.

However, I've discovered that contrary to what the salesman told me, it shuts off when the car is shut off.

Is there a configuration under the hood or elsewhere to easily enable this, or am I going to need to wire something? If these power sockets are on their own circuit all by themselves, I can do this easily (approximately 1 minute) at the fusebox with my own inline fuse, and a line from one of the always-on circuits to the prior fuse position. Done this before.

Anyone know if there is a turnkey solution to this somewhere?

THANKS

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

I'm pretty sure that the power sockets share the circuit with other items. The easiest and cleanest solution would be to unplug the wire at the back of the socket and run a separate wire from the socket to one of those push-in taps at an always hot circuit at the fuse box. When you sell the vehicle, you can remove the push-in tap at the fuse box, plug the original wire back into the socket, and pull the wire.

Reply to
Ray O

Have you checked your manual. I don't know about your model but in many you can just move a fuse specified in the manual to make it always on.

Reply to
Art

Have you checked your manual. I don't know about your model but in many you can just move a fuse specified in the manual to make it always on.

Reply to
Art

Check with your dealer. My 1996 Dodge Caravan had a replacement solenoid plugin that took 1 minute to insert in a fusebox under the hood, to achieve what you want. Ask your dealer, or Toyota on line, if such a fix is available. I would be hesitant about actually changing the wiring, which is so complex in current vehicles.

Good luck.

Morton

Reply to
Morton Linder