Sounds like the power steering pump bearing to me

My car just started squealing a little when I start it up. It's barely noticeable until I actually start to move my car. When I start to pull out of my parking spot it gets really bad. After less than a 1/4 mile it lets up and stops doing it unless I make a very hard turn one way or the other. I'm thinking I have a power steering bearing locking up or something. Any other opinions?

PS:It's a 95 Geo Prism LSI 1.8L

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

As Mark mentioned, if the power steering pump bearing were locked up, the belt would probably break and the squealing sound would not go away.

You have not mentioned how old the accessory drive belts are, if it has been more than 45,000 miles, the most likely cause is belt slippage. With the engine OFF, look at the under side of the belt. If there are any cracks or if it appears glazed and shiny, it should be replaced. Also, look for the longest span between pulleys and push down on the belt in the middle of that longest span. If you can depress the belt more than about 1/2 inch, it should be replaced.

Reply to
Ray O

All the belts are brand new. I replaced them when I did the timing belt.

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

If the belts are brand new, the possibilities are not enough tension on the belt, too much tension on the belt, poor belt fit, and belt off by 1 rib if it is a ribbed belt.

Reply to
Ray O

Get a piece of hose to use as a stethoscope. When the engine is making noise use it to run down the location. Could be just a loose belt.

Reply to
toyomoho

Woo hoo, fixed the problem. As it turns out it was just a loose belt. I had checked before for loose belts but I guess I misjudged this one. It's just weird because it wasn't actually to power steering belt even though it caused squealing when I turned. I can't think of what to call it, but it was the belt that went around the alternator.

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity