Steering Problems

Hi, I have a 1997 VW Golf, K2, 1.8L, 8V, 5spd Manual, 221,000 kms. Everytime I'm backing up or pulling into a parking spot and I turn the wheel all the way to one side or the other, she starts to squeal like a pig??

Now my mechanic told me he replaced the "belt" a few months ago, but it seems that never really fixed it. Also the fluid is at normal levels in the power Steering reservoir. Happens either when it's cold or hot.

What could my problem be?? Thanks, Steve

Reply to
VWGolf

mine makes a wuurrring sound but doesn't squeal that much

Reply to
Joe

You didn't read the instruction book. It says don't turn the steering to full lock as you will overload the power steering.

Charles

Reply to
Charles DH Williams

Reply to
Randolph

I am not going to wager any bets here, but I think it says to not turn the wheel all the way for more than 15 seconds. See

Randolph

I also forgot to mention that sometimes when I'm backing up or turning around, especially when I'm stopped and turning the wheel, feels like the steering wheel "chatters" or "jumps". I feel a tugging sensation along with the squealing.

What could that be??

Steve

Reply to
VWGolf

Problem Solved!! Belt was loose...Tightened it and all noises and chattering is gone.

Thanks for all your replies.

Reply to
VWGolf