Stolen from another group: Fox News

Who is going to speak up for that community? I believe they have no spokesmen that are credible enough to garner any serious debate without getting into the same finger-pointing and blame game as usual.

Reply to
badgolferman

There's a grain of truth in any stereotype. I just don't embrace them - no matter what they are.

I don't believe all poor whites are "trailer trash" or that all Jews are money-grubbers. To revel in the stereotype is an injustice to the majority who aren't. Yes, the hip-hop culture embraced it, and have twisted the perception of our people, but believe me when I say most of us ave been resisting that crap from the beginning.

The Cosby show wasn't criticized for not being "nasty" enough. Some thought its popularity would give the impression that typical blacks live the way they do, which is largely not true at all. Like it or not, people tend to believe what they see on television (unless it's already described as fantasy/sci-fi). Some felt it gave the impression that most blacks no longer struggle for that life.

Personally, I thought the Cosby show was a good step forward, showing us what we *can* be, but you'll always get those who won't believe it's possible (thereby excusing their lack of effort). Only problem I ever had with it was believing the two girls were the product of two dark-skinned black parents. They were very obviously biracial, so it was ridiculous that they were cast in those parts.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Ironically, Cosby is a good representative of our people, but as an actor, he's not taken as seriously. No, ass-clowns like Sharpton and Jackson grandstand, and make us look even worse than what some already think we are.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

In message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.evilcabal.org, "Wickeddoll®" burned some brain cells writing:

So I guess TV gave the impression that all whites are Archie Bunker. Or Meathead. Or Arnold Horshack. Or Fred & Ethel Mertz. Or Sonny Crockett. Pffft.

Do you also consider it "ridiculous" for Jessye Norman, Barbara Hendricks and Kathleen Battle to be cast as Europeans?

If not, would you attend a performance of "Porgy And Bess" with Bryn Terfel and Renee Fleming in the title roles? And if not, why not?

Reply to
Klark Kent

In message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.evilcabal.org, "Wickeddoll®" burned some brain cells writing:

So does that mean Kenneth Branagh is the epitome of the "representative white man"? And would he not be had he and Larry Fishburne swapped roles in "Othello"?

Reply to
Klark Kent

"Klark Kent" "Wickeddoll®" burned some brain cells writing:

Yes it did - some were foolish enough to believe it.

Opera is not the same as a weekly sitcom portraying a family. You're just being facetious, but that's nothing new.

Yes I would. The idea of someone singing instead of speaking is so unrealistic that anything they do in that setting is acceptable. The sets, costumes, etc., are only window-dressing, framing each song. It's not the same, and you know it.

If you're going to pick another pointless fight with me, be advised I'm not taking anymore of the bait.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

"Klark Kent" "Wickeddoll®" burned some brain cells writing:

See my previous (and last) comment to you on this subject.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

"Jeff Strickland" ...

No argument from me.

And remaining a victim.

Amen.

Like Charles says, and for once I agree with him, "victocrats" - perennial victims.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

12:30 AM on Cartoon Network, a show called the Boondocks.

Wrap your head in duct tape before watching...

Reply to
hachiroku

BC don't like white people...I know first hand.

Of course, being a hippie at the time may not have helped. However, once I got him talking about cars...

Reply to
hachiroku

I saw this yesterday, but it didn't strike me what you're saying.

I try. But having a car stolen by hispanics, and then broken into when I got it repaired sure didn't help. Seeing them standing on street corners selling dope don't help.

Come to Holyoke MA and get an idea why I have some difficulty with Hispanics.

I *try* not to paint with a broad brush, and I know plenty of good Hispanics, and I certainly try to jusdge people for *who* they are as opposed to *what* they are, but with gangs, rapes, murders, drugs, theft, prositution, car jackings, etc, etc it sure gets difficult at times.

Reply to
hachiroku

In message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.evilcabal.org, "Wickeddoll®" burned some brain cells writing:

What are their names?

How so? Far more opera is based on historical fact than is the sitcom genre.

No I'm not. Answer the question.

Why do you think no such production has been staged by a major company? What reaction do you think it would attract, keeping in mind that nobody has a problem with Battle playing Figaro's Susanna or Norman playing Carmen or Hendricks playing Boheme's Mimi?

You do know not all opera consists of singing, correct? Some have speaking!

So pointing out your racial purity hypocrisy is now "picking a pointless fight"? Nice try, Tawana.

Reply to
Klark Kent

I know of that show/comic strip. Much too mean-spirited for my taste.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Blame that on poverty and ignorance. I saw the same thing in New Hampshire, except by whites.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Bellows Falls, VT,

Reply to
Hachiroku

LOL one of my closest friends lives there. I hadn't heard of those problems in that area.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

More accurately, Chet Kinkaid never caught on with audiences. But Cosby's first successful comedy TV series, the Cosby Show, was never cancelled and was still hugely popular when it was voluntarily ended by Cosby himself.

Reply to
rantonrave

You may want to look at Bill Cosby's parents and his brother Russell.

In the Cosby show the lead characters, Hilton Lucas (Cosby) and Ruth Lucas (Phylicia Rashad), had only one child, their daughter Erica, played by T'Keyah Crystal Keymah. The Cosby show and Cosby Show must never be confused with one another, or else.

Reply to
rantonrave

I was working in Brattleboro and mentioned I had had a car stolen, and one of the women asked me, "Bellows Falls?"

Seems it's Vermonts own little Holyoke...

Reply to
Hachiroku

..

Wickeddoll® wrote:

You may want to look at Bill Cosby's parents and his brother Russell.

In the Cosby show the lead characters, Hilton Lucas (Cosby) and Ruth Lucas (Phylicia Rashad), had only one child, their daughter Erica, played by T'Keyah Crystal Keymah. The Cosby show and Cosby Show must never be confused with one another, or else.

LOL or else?

I barely remember that other show, but of course I mean the more recent one.

Also, there are various shades of brown in my own (immediate) family, but that's not the only factor. Recessive genes can change skin tone, but features that are overwhelmingly Caucasian are obvious to other blacks, especially the hair of biracial folks. Those two girls had very Caucasian features; not just their skin tone.

My kids each have some features of both races, but it varies. For some reason, biracial girls are always fairer-skinned than boys, no matter what combination of parents they have. I dunno why that is, but I haven't seen any exceptions.

One thing I can tell you with absolute certainty that Michael Jackson's so-called biological kids are definitely *not*. They're his, but only because he bought them. Jackson is in reality a rather dark-skinned person; bleaching his skin won't change his DNA. All of those kids have silky, flaxen hair, light-colored eyes and fair skin. Now, I can believe one, maybe two of those features might be present in one of them, but not *all three!*

It's bullshit.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®