Synthetic ATF

Your tranny probably holds 12 quarts of tranny juice. When you do a drain and fill, you replace about 4 quarts. This mixes with what's in there already. The only way to replace ALL the tranny fluid is todo a flush. As I said before, I have seen this wreak havoc on older, improperly maintained trannies. If you know where the car was serviced, see if the dealer, etc can give you a run-down on the maintenance records. If the previous owner did flushes then you should be good to flush and fill. If not, just do the normal maintenance and refill with synth. It will take, oh, about 100 drain and fills before you're running about 90% synthetic! That's why you have to weigh the cost against any advantages there are to using the stuff.

Reply to
hachiroku

Mobil 1 ATF appears not available in the UK. Can anyone point to a quality fully synthetic ATF available in the UK? I have done a brief search and as yet have not come up with one.

Reply to
top gear

in

I have come up with Fuchs ATF 4000, a genuine fully synthetic oil. Anyone know of this oil? Fuchs is a joint Canadian/UK company.

Reply to
top gear

Fuchs is a German oil company. It owns Silkolene in the UK although most of its UK oil is now branded as 'Fuchs' with Silkolene targeted at motorbikes. Their oil is particularly popular in the motor, agricultural, haulage and industrial areas. A fair proportion is distributed to the agricultural sector through a Co-op such as ACT. Fuchs is AFAIK the only company in the UK marketing a full synthetic Super Universal 10w/40 suitable for both heavy duty engines and transmissions including powershifts and CVT's incorporating high displacement hydraulic pumps and wet disc brakes and clutch packs. It is also suitable for axles and epicyclical reduction sets where the normal recommendation is EP75 to EP85w/140.

I bet you always wanted to know that ;-)

Huw

Reply to
Huw

wrote

motorbikes.

It was useful. I have found that the only ATF oil they make to Dexron 11 or

111 is the Titan 5000, which appears not available in the UK. The fully synthetic oils appear quite cheap, so I always smell rat when the price is way behind the likes of Mobil 1.
Reply to
top gear

Use manufacturers recomendations, It might have some benefit in hot climate like here in Texas where I live it gets pretty hot... I was told synthetic helps in extreme temperatures..

Reply to
andre_lortie

"top gear" wrote >

Their oil is top quality. In fact they cater to the quality end of the market. Their prices are reasonable because they do not pander to the mass consumer market to a large extent. Price is mainly dependant on where you buy and in what pack size anyhow. The oils I use are mostly Titan Cargo 1040 fully synthetic and Titan HPE which is a mineral long drain multifleet type. The Cargo is very expensive at £3/litre in 25l packs. The last 205l barrel of HPE cost £0.76/l and the fully synthetic Super Universal cost £1.08/l

Huw

Reply to
Huw