To: mrcheerful Re My Post On Battery Running Down With Car Just Sitting In Driveway For A Few Weeks

Hello:

Thanks for help.

Should have asked before: why are you suggesting the Alternator as a possible current drain when ignition off.? I would have thought the Alternator would be completely passive ?

Not too sharp with this stuff; just trying to learn.

Thanks, Bob

"keep disconnecting things till the draw stops, first thing I would pull is the connectors of the alternator."

Reply to
Robert11

The alternator has components in which can become partially faulty, this allows current to flow back and drain the battery (since the alternator is permanently connected to the positive battery terminal). The way forward is to establish the level of battery drain, then disconnect things ( such as the alternator ) one at a time till the drain is reduced to an insignificant level, you can then fix the bit you have isolated as being the cause of the excess drain.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

To clear up a bit of mystery, the alternator has windings that need a bit of battery voltage in them in order to start making current. But it shouldn't be drawing that current unless the engine is ON.

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
n5hsr