Toyota Carina Running Problems

I was wondering if anyone can help.

I have a toyota Carina auto 2.0L Gli 1996/7 model, really good reliable car, however I am having intermittent problems.

When the car has been driven on a long journey it start to give problems when I come to a standstill where the idling speed drops, fluctuates before cutting out. It does retsart straight away but have to leave the car off for about 5 to ten minutes before the idling stays normal.

Since the problem is intermittent the garages are reluctant to start changinging components as they are not sure what the problem is.

Is there a condensor unit attached to the distributor in this car as I personaly think it could be something like that. Howver I cant see one anywhere.

Can anyone advise.

Thanking you for your cooperation.

Reply to
testrun

You might want to invest in a vacuum gauge and monitor manifold vacuum when the condition occurs to see if there is an intermittent vacuum leak. I've run across vacuum switching valves that have a very minute crack that only opens up when the engine is very hot.

Another possibility is that fuel delivery is being disrupted somewhow.

Has the engine check engine light come on?

Condensers are pretty much a thing of the past in modern vehicles with electronic ignition.

Reply to
Ray O