Toyota corrolla makes thunky noise in sharp curves

My toyota is a "Toyota corolla VVT-i Wagon" from 2002

When driving small curves (like on a roundabout) I hear a thunky noise in the car. It sounds very low frequency and the volume is soft. It sounds like the wheel is not rotating like a complete circle but that it is flattened at some place. When I drive straight on the sound is gone?

Question: Is this normal. Is this for example the Traction Control System that can make this sound?

Reply to
Peter

Now I've never owned a newer corolla, or one ever with traction control, but with my old one, a weird sound only heard during turning, later turned out a bust cv boot, and worn joint.

Check that.

hth,

tom @

The Real Tom

I agree that is sounds like a CV joint going. To trouble shoot for your mechanic, first determine if it is from the left or right front. Then determine if it is during a left or right turn. That will tell the mech. which side is going, and if it is an inside or outside joint. This was explained to me and it helped my mech with some trouble shooting time.

Gordo

Reply to
Gordo

Before I went through that I would take a look at the shock mounts for excessive wear...

Reply to
hachiroku