Toyota Hybrid 12V Battery, Ouch!

You need to get a life.

Reply to
uncle_vito

It really *is* necessary that someone know the basics of how to make the car run--

--especially if one is going to tell the interwebs all about it.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Can anyone share an online dealership that sells the OEM Panasonic battery? I am having a terribly hard time even finding a way to price this out. Thanks!

Reply to
Greenbeans

on Feb 23,2014 I installed a new battery in my 2004 Toyota Prius. It had be en giving me trouble for several months and the cold weather made it worse. I ordered an OPTIMA DS46B24R battery from Street Side Auto on line for $14

7 and no shipping. It arrived in 4 days. This is an exact replacement, drop in battery. No modifications of any kind were necessary. The OEM battery h as a vent on the side and the new one was in exactly the same location. If you read other comments they describe how to change out this battery. I wil l only add this comment. Right next to the battery is a black box which is part of the brake system. It is held in place with three bolts and has two plugs which connect to the battery harness. If you remove this box it makes changing the battery MUCH easier.Spray them with WD-40 first since the may have rusted some. It took me 30 minutes to make the change on a very cold afternoon.
Reply to
sighthound_lover01

Reply to
sighthound_lover01

On a Camry Hybrid the battery is charged all the time the car is running wh ether the gasoline engine is running or not. All Toyota Hybrids and this in cludes the Camry do not have an alternator. They have a high voltage to 12 volt converter and this is what charges the battery. When you start the car the Ready light engages. When that happens the 12 volts goes to 14 which i s the correct charge voltage for a sealed lead acid battery. How do I know? I put a volt meter on the battery terminals of a Camry hybrid and started the car. The voltage goes to 14 volts and then the gasoline engine starts s ometime later. Also when the gasoline engine starts there is no voltage dro p because the high voltage battery is starting the gasoline engine not the

12 volt battery.

But if that is not enough there is:

Toyota Technical Service Bulletin below.

MAINTENANCE FOR HV BATTERY & AUXILIARY BATTERY- PD020-06 March 31, 2006 Pag e 7 of 7

"Turn vehicle to "READY" ON. HINT: When the remaining capacity of the HV ba ttery is low, the gasoline engine automatically starts and the HV battery i s charged by the generator. The auxiliary battery is also charged by the HV battery regardless of the gasoline engine operation"

Reply to
elearnaid

Reply to
shammi.illankoon