tranny fluid

is there a procedure to change transmission fluid without removing pan or plug?

Reply to
collins

If your transmission has a drain plug, you shouldn't be asking for an alter= native to the EASIEST WAY IN THE WORLD to change the fluid, and you should = praise the auto maker for caring enough to include the plug.

Some people change the fluid by sucking up the old fluid through the fill t= ube, but that's got to leave a lot more crud in there than draining it does= , if my limited experience with engine oil is any indication. A friend had= an engine that burned a quart every 200 miles, so he would just top it off= , on the assumption that the engine was getting a complete oil change every= 4-6 weeks. He did change the filter every 3 months. Then he decided to d= o a regular oil change, and the oil came out looking really awful, and I do= n't mean it just turned really dark. But the next time he drained the oil,= about 3 months later, it looked a lot cleaner, despite the engine being a = bad oil burner.

Another way to change the transmission fluid is by opening up the transmiss= ion cooler return line. A lot of shops do this (and charge more than a reg= ular change that includes dropping the pan and changing the filter) with an= electric pump, but some people just run the engine and keep pouring in new= fluid to keep the trans from running dry. I have no idea how good or saf= e that is.

Reply to
larrymoencurly