transmission drain plug and capacity: 2000 corolla

I just replaced the transmission fluid (dexron III from toyota). I pulled out about 3.3 litres but put back in the specified amount of 3.1 L (it is a 4 speed automatic). The manual says to check the dipstick, but difficult to read as the fluid smears along the dipstick --I am good with the oil changes, not so good here. It seems like where it is solid is on the upper end of the cold, the dipstick has 2 v-grooves for cold and I put it at the 2nd or higher level indicating v-groove if that makes sense.

Also, it seems I may have stripped the drain plug and if so, it did not take much. No fluid is leaking but essentially, when I try to tighten it eventually loosens so that I can turn it by hand so I tightened it to just until it gives. It has 80,000 km and the plug was surprisingly easy to remove --any thoughts on whether it is/was stripped, whether a washer is crushed. Prefer good news.

Back the the refill, I filled it with 3 litres, started the vehicle and ran it through Low to Park a few times and the put in park and idled for a while. Does that sound like the right procedure?

Appreciate any help.

Reply to
gp

You may want to double check the correct transmission fluid. I am not sure when Toyota changed over to T-IV, but if T-IV is specified, I'd drain and replace with the correct fluid.

A stripped drain plug is bad news. If it leaks, you can ruin the transmission. You can either replace the transmission pan or try to have it filled in and re-tapped.

Yes.

Reply to
Ray O

tomorrow, I am going to buy a new drain plug/washer and keep my fingers crossed. A bit surprised that it striped so easily.

The fluid is correct as listed on the dip stick, owner's manual and as given to me by the toyota part's dept based on the vehicle VIN. I too was worried about ensuring I was using the right fluid.

Ray O wrote:

Reply to
gp