Transmission Flush for a 1998 Sienna ?

I have a 98 Sienna XLE with 150K miles on it. How often should I flush transmission? I last did it at 104K. Also any info on high mileage maintenace activities for these cars? Tks in advance, pln

Reply to
Pierre Nys

If you have been getting the transmission flushed at 36 to 48k intervals, then you should continue at those intervals. OTOH, if the fluid has only been changed or has not been changed for a long time, then a fluid change is a safer bet.

Reply to
Ray O

Check your owners manual. IIRC Toyota recommends 2 years / 60K miles for gearbox fluids and coolant but that's just off the top of my head. Brake fluid is a good thing to change at about the same interval although I don't think the manual calls for this.

As someone who drives nothing but high mileage vehicles, I can say that more frequent inspection is probably the most important for continued safe and reliable operation. Get into the habit of checking oil and other fluids every day before you drive it. About once a month or so go over the whole van to inspect suspension components, rubber/plastic components including brake lines, and anything else that might leak or break - CV joint boots, shaft seals, bearings, etc., as well as look for things such as burnt out bulbs, loose wires, corroded battery terminals, rust spots on the chassis and so on.

Thirty seconds a day and an hour or so a month is well spent if it prevents a breakdown.

-- Mike Harris Austin TX

Reply to
Mike Harris