transmission rumble

I have a 1995 4 runner with auto transmission. When sitting idle or decelerating there is an audible rumble under the transmission. I took it to the shop and they said that drive shaft was bent and the compression plate holding it to the transmission was loose. They replaced the shaft and tightened the compression plate. Seemed like it was gone but in a couple hours I started to hear it again. The car drives fine and I have had very little problems with it. It still goes into 4 wheel just fine. Any ideas about the sound and if this is a sign of inevitable transmission failure? thanks.

Reply to
xenon66

I would guess the output bearing in the transmission.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Actually, the drive shaft (A.K.A. propeller shaft) is attached to the transmission and differential by companion flanges. I can never remember which way is the correct way without looking at the book, but it is possible for the universal joints to be 90 degrees out of phase. The easiest correct way to remove and replace a drive shaft and maintain the correct phase is to mark the companion flanges so that they go back the correct way. Also, if the drive shaft is out of balance, Toyota dealers sell weighted bolts for the companion flanges. If the drive shaft was bent, then the engine, transmission, and transfer case mounts and alignment should be checked.

As hachiroku mentioned, it is possible that the transmission or transfer case output shaft bearing can be bad but I'd check stuff related to the original driveshaft damage first.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks for your quick responses, and advice. Any idea on the price of replacing that bearing? Since the drive shaft is brand new I think that variable has now been eliminated. I'll probably have to move on the more expensive repairs or just let it go. Neither options sounds all that great.

Reply to
xenon66

Depends on if you have a dealer that charges by the hour or "Flat Rate" The Flat Rate time includes totally removing the transmission from the car, removing the bearing, replacing and reinstalling the transmission.

The hourly rate includes removing the driveshaft, removing the bearing, reinstalling the bearing and replacing the driveshaft.

Now, considering the fact the driveshaft was bent out of shape. it *IS* possible the bearing was damaged. I would check what Ray said first; this will be cheaper and may solve the problem.

The other thing is, I was basing my 'guess' on the W58 5-speed trans; you have an automatic...

Reply to
Hachiroku