RX300 transmission noise when key inserted

When engine is cold and I insert the key, an electrical whirring/whinning noise comes from the transmission pan area. The dealer says it sounds like the transmission "accumualtor" is powering up. They checked a couple of other RX300s on the lot and they do it too.

My question is, does anyone know what a transmission accumualtor is?

I was surprised that the dealer wasn't sure what it was, that this is the first time they ever heard of this and I sent a note to Lexus and they didn't know anything about it either.

Reply to
scout

I don't suppose you've browsed through your owner's manual?

My guess is that if it's that noticeable, the owner's manual covers it.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

An accumulator in a hydraulic system is akin to a 'shock absorber'. When valves are open and closed in a hydraulic system abrupt pressure surges and drops occur. The accumulator is a pressured reservoir, that compensates for fluctuation in the hydraulic pressure. In an automatic transmission it prevents the "jerky shifting" and "clunking" and allows Lexus to shift like a Lexus, smoothly. If it fails you'll think you driving a GM or Ford product. ;-)

Bob in Atlanta w/RX300 (who learned about servos and hydraulic systems in the computer mainframes era)

Reply to
Rlstockman