valve cover gasket oil leak

My 2000 Sienna with 92K miles has valve cover gasket oil leaks. Both gaskets have a slight leak with the front one being worse. The dealer
wants $690 to fix it. I am not going to pay that price for it.
Are there different oils or additives I should use to minimize the leak? It isn't bad enough to show on the ground yet.
Currently I use Valvoline 5W-30 oil every 3000 miles.
Have you tried tightening the bolts? A bid of preventive maintance always helps ;)
mike hunt

Try tightening the valve cover bolts evenly.
There are no additives or oils that I am aware of that are effective in reducing or eliminating the leak. I am not a fan of stop leak products unless the vehicle is on its last leg because they have a tendency to clog things if air gets into the system.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
Ray O, 2/19/2006,12:45:56 AM, wrote:

Any idea what the torque should be for the bolts?

I'm sure there is a spec although I just give the bolts 1 turn and see what happens.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

Maybe Newfie tight?...(as tight as possible plus a half turn) :)
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)
Gord Beaman, 2/19/2006,10:33:31 PM, wrote:

That sounds awfully tight. We don't even put that much torque into airplane bolts.

Yer kidding me right?
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)
Gord Beaman, 2/20/2006,11:14:58 AM, wrote:

Here's an example: A 10-32 bolt in tension gets tightened to 40 lbs/sq in. That's not as tight as possible plus an extra half turn. It's more like snug plus another turn. However we use nuts with nylon inserts or helicoil nuts where there is now way to use a nut.
Mark, 2/20/2006,12:11:27 PM, wrote:

Yes, you're right.

Was your 87 Camry a six-cylinder? It is much more difficult to do those engines, especially the rear bay.
--
"Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it." ~
Flannery O'Connor

Keeerist!...you 'did' see the smiley face on there didn't you?!!...IT'S A JOKE PEOPLE!!
How the HELL does one tighten a bolt 'as tight as possible' PLUS anything???...
Gee golly guys, it was a newfie joke!!...
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)

Easy. Put a long bar on the end of the wrench. Wait until you hear the "click". :)

--
gburnore at DataBasix dot Com