Very disappointed with Toyota

Like I said before my wife's the Toyota person, I'm more of a Honda person, but anyway to make sure I'm happy every night we have bought

2001 Toyota Corolla and recently 2007 Toyota Camry SE V6.

Ok, my wife had a 1990 Toyota Corolla and never have a problem. We drove it till 300,000 miles and never had to do anything outside of maintainence. So I say, ok, I'm convinced, what can go wrong with Toyota? So we bought a 2001 Toyota Corolla next. What a mistake.

Of course it's cool until it reachs 100,000 miles, then all hell broke loose (shouldn't this only happen to Ford cars?) First I needed a new engine belt. Then my battery died so I put in a new battery. Next, my check engine light came on and it turned out I needed a new catalytic converter ($1500 bill), and now my check engine light came on again and now it needs a new O2 sensor. Oh, and I had to replace one of the tire rim because my car's bouncing.

Horrible, 1990 no problem, 2001 a piece of junk. I just pray that

2007 Camry will be more like 1990 instead of 2001. What happened to Toyota factory?
Reply to
Big Blue

Let me get this straight. You're complaining that you needed a new battery after a completely trouble-free100K miles??

Cathy

Next,

Reply to
Cathy F.

Well, the Engine belt (Timing Belt, or the Accessory belt...?) were bound to be replaced too, and fall under 'normal maintenance', as does the battery. Almost 6 years is good for a battery.

Yeah, the cat is a pain, isn't it' I have 20 YO cat's on two of my 'Yotas. But I guess I was lucky!

And if the Cat went, that might explain the O2 sensor, although they sometimes need replacing at 100,000. But, I never replaced the O2 sensor in my '85 Corolla, either...

Before you call it a piece of junk, you're really talking a lot of maintenance items. How it is on rust? squeaks and rattles? Trim falling off? Major items needing repair (Bad PS pump, water pump, head gasket, etc?)

Also, out of curiostiy, what is the first letter or number of the VIN? "J" means Japan, 4 Means US and 2 means Canada.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Also, I'm nearly certain the '01 Corolla has a timing chain, not a belt. Toyota switched from timing belt to chain with the 8th generation models that debuted in 1998.

I am curious as to which belt the OP had to replace. I agree with the other posters: Everything but the catalytic converter is simple wear and tear, to be expected.

ERM

Reply to
Eric

O2 sensor are expected to break? Battery are expected to die? Tire Rim are expected to fall apart? CAT converter are expected to be replace? Engine belt are expected to break?

I must have miss all that from my 1999 Odessey, still going strong with no replacements necessary. I guess Honda must have found some alien technology that they didn't tell the rest of the world yet.

Reply to
Big Blue

Ok guys. Note to self: when you get a Toyota save up for O2 Sensor, a belt, CAT converter, battery, and tire rims. Those are "expected" to break. Shame on Honda for not breaking all these years.

Reply to
Big Blue

No, you were unlucky in that respect.

Battery are expected to die? After five years? Yes, they do die in that time...or less.

Tire Rim are expected to fall apart? Face it...it didn't fall apart. Rims don't fall apart unless the driver has hit something very hard like a pothole or a curb. It was damaged in driving.

CAT converter are expected to be

No, again, you were perhaps unlucky. Into each life a little rain must fall.

Engine belt are expected to break? When you purchased the Corolla, the owner's manual clearly states the need to replace the timing belt (if it's not a chain) and rubber parts do deteriorate over time. You might have known that up front by reading the manual. There's an old code word "RTFM" which stands for Read the F***ing Manual. Maybe you didn't.

You haven't mentioned the brake pads or radiator hoses or water pump, so their replacement should fortify your argument ...also, have you had to replace your tires after 100K miles? Next time perhaps you should get a Honda ...or if you really want an education in automotive longevity, get a Cadillac Catera, and if your engine lasts over 35,000 miles, you should feel really lucky.

Reply to
mack

my 1998 civic, bought new needed an O2 sensor after about 6 years. $220 at the dealer, just for the part. 10 minutes for me to change it. i got rid of it before the timing belt was due, and bought a scion xA.

Reply to
SoCalMike

yes, eventually. belts break, sensors wear out, batteries get weak. i dont know what you mean about the "rim falling apart"

youve just been living a charmed life. i suppose you 1999 odyssey has the original oil, filters, and spark plugs in it?

Reply to
SoCalMike

And transmission.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

About that rim: Someone hit a curb or other nasty thing with that wheel.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Your either stupid, or too young to have any perspective on this issue. Batteries get old. Belts get old and wear out because they're subjected to constant heat and friction. The other items - maybe you have something to bitch about, although I have doubts about the rim.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Your post is a prime example why one should not buy a vehicle based on somebody elses experience, with one they bought good or bad, or even your own experience in the past. The fact is every manufacture is making good long lasting dependable vehicles today and they no longer making the one you owned five of ten years ago.

J D Powers, CR and others continue to show that every manufacture builds between 1% and 2% that are problematic. One would be better served if they drove all those that suits their needs, then bought the one that best suits their budget, rather than paying more than needed in the hope you will not get one of the 2%.. The odds are greatly in ones favor that they well get one of the 98%, no mater which brand one chooses

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Surely it's time some gorm contributed a bit of alarmist babbling about hybrids' main batteries being unreliable? (Or maybe Mike H has already done his usual party piece. If so, pass.)

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

:-)

So many children have been killed by hybrid batteries.....

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Like I said morons, my Honda Odessey, 1999, 150,000 and the battery is still going strong. No sensor replacement, no need to change engine belt, and no it doesn't need a new CAT coverter either.

Toyota, #1 car in reliablity, Ha... It's as worthless as my 1994 Hyundai Excel that fell apart in weeks.

Reply to
Big Blue

Which belt are you referring to, meat sock? There's more than one.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Gosh you toyota ass kissers are so sensitive.

Reply to
Big Blue

Methinks someone posted with at least a semi-purpose of trolling...

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.