Vin plate info and TBDs

"Ray O" proclaimed to alt.autos.toyota ...

Incidentally Toyotas EPC (parts catalogue) doesnt have my VIN listed as having an LSD diff, but i do have one and its the 767 Axle code in the vin plate too. The EPC just shows Differential.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

One will find the axle designation on the door post build date plate. find the axle code and any dealer can decode it for you.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Mike Hunter proclaimed to alt.autos.toyota ...

No plate on anything door like on mine. And my local dealers wont even discuss any number other than my VIN. No information is given out, they wont even give out part numbers until you buy the part.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Coyoteboy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

No it's not. VIN characters have very different meanings worldwide. Our Polish friend is evidently either unaware of this, or doesn't care and is just trying to get hits to his site.

Try this one:

It's more US-oriented.

By the way, the Polack's assertion that the VIN reveals all is *wrong*. Find the information stamped into the firewall. This location reveals model, tranny and trim info not included in the VIN. Ray O may be able to decipher this info for you.

Reply to
Tegger

The axle code in not found in the VIN. Try looking on the firewall for the plate. If you can not find one on the car you will need to open the rear

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Tegger wrote in news:Xns9916D360AC62Ctegger@207.14.116.130:

Or just

Tegger

I haven't looked at it for a while, but IIRC it is JT2AE86L6F0031334 From what I *DO* know, Japan, Toyota Corolla 86 (I was told the L meant LSD) Check Digit 1985 Supra Plants, Japan and then the sequence number.

Funny thing is, it's called a Hachiroku (86), and everyone refers to the AE86, but the actual model number for the GTS was AE88! I remember this from looking at the plate under the hood. The VIN indicates an AE86, but the Model # on the plate is AE88. And I did see somewhere on the web the

86 is a Corolla, and the 88 is the GTS.

So, actually, we've been wrong all this time, and I *should be "Hachihachi"!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Since you cannot tell whether a vehicle has an LSD by the VIN, you have to know the accessory codes for the vehicle.

Reply to
Ray O

I never learned how to decipher the build plate on the firewall. (I skipped District Parts Mgr and went straight to District Service Manager). I remember the format being something like AE86L-BLMHQA or something like that, and the alphabet soup after the series designation had the extra info.

Reply to
Ray O

Toyota puts that info on the firewall plate. The door plate only has the VIN, production date, GVWR, and tire inflation specs.

Reply to
Ray O

The "L" is for liftback. If it was a "C", then it would be a coupe.

The "F" before the sequence number means that it is a 1985 model year.

The series indicator for the parts department is slightly different from the VIN, which is different from the distribution model number.

Agent Hachihachi!

Reply to
Ray O

Mike Hunter proclaimed to alt.autos.toyota ...

I never said it was :) I said it was found on the VIN plate, which it is :)

Reply to
Coyoteboy

"Ray O" proclaimed to alt.autos.toyota ...

But you would have thought they would have a database of the parts that went onto each car. Since they can tell me the colour, the trim and many of the other optional extras etc etc But the Diff isnt listed differently IIRC. I'll check in a minute :)

Reply to
Coyoteboy

There is a database of factory and port-installed parts and accessories that are installed in each car, basically the information that is on the window label when the car is sold new. If LSD was an extra cost option, then it would be in the database. I believe that the database is only available to dealers for 10 model years.

Reply to
Ray O

I know this very good. This site has an expert's system that can recognize different decoding depend of country of origin, model and even model year etc. For Toyota there is 19 ways to decode VIN number in autobaza system.

just trying to get hits to his site.

I'm care about this, and if you can show me a better VIN decoder for all car model than autobaza.pl I'll be thankful.

Best Regards G

Reply to
glenior

snipped-for-privacy@gazeta.pl proclaimed to alt.autos.toyota ...

The problem is a site that claims to do something, then fails to pull it off or, worse, gives out bad information isnt helpful at all. For example if I used that to find out the body type of a car with no image associated and it returned 5 doors (as it does with my 3 door) it could give me wrong info that I might use to buy something by mistake.

That said, its not easy to produce a foolproof answer to everything.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

It make one wonder why so many in this NG are down of the President so often, doesn't it?

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Mike Hunter proclaimed to alt.autos.toyota ...

:-)

Reply to
Coyoteboy